17. The Request

Sam left on a really early flight a few days later, on a school night. I didn't get to see him off, but we talked for a long time on the phone the night before – Mom almost caught me too.

Somehow, I believed everything was going to be OK. I believed we would see each other again, hopefully soon.

Once Mom knew Sam had left the city, she seemed to relax considerably. I tried not to let on how disappointed I was that Sam was gone. I didn't want her to think I was pining for him, even though I guess I was.

"Mail for you," Mom said to me the next day, holding out an envelope that looked it had been stuffed with something long and thin.

I took it from her, inspecting the neat, simple handwriting. There was no return address. "Thanks."

I went upstairs to my room, ripping the top open. Something clattered as it fell out, something that looked to be made of wood.

I picked it up, unfurling a wave of red silk. It was a fan. A beautiful, ornate Chinese fan, decorated with spring blossoms – just like the one Li Zhou gives Elizabeth in An American Concubine.

I folded it up, tucking it away in a desk drawer, next to my copy of 'Love Is A Dirty Word'. Right on time, too, because Mom and Jess burst in a minute later, talking excitedly about - 

" - Christmas," Mom was saying, and I realized I had just tuned them both out. "What do you think, Abby?"

I blinked. "I'm sorry. What?"

"I know it's a little early, but I want to start planning so I don't have to deal with the last-minute shopping crowd. You know how aggressive they can get."

"Mom and I are expecting something really nice from you this year," Jess piped up.

"I was thinking maybe one of those nice massage chairs," Mom suggested. "I bet it would do wonders for my back."

"And I could use a new iPhone."

"Is this really in the spirit of Christmas, guys?" I said, frowning.

"Also," Mom went on. "This is entirely your call, but Reverend Petersen has been hinting that the church could use some fixing up."

I sighed. 

"Like I said ... it's up to you," she said. "But maybe a small gesture of kindness during the festive season wouldn't be such a bad idea."

"Sure. Why not?"

"What about you, Abby? What do you want this year?"

I wanted Sam Delaney to come back to Kendall City and profess his undying love for me. 

"She already got everything she wanted this year," Jess pointed out. "A movie deal and a ton of money."

"Go ahead and surprise me, guys. I'm sure I'll love whatever you choose."

Sam and I continued to text and call each other as the weeks went by, but not as much as I liked. He was busy flying from city to city, promoting his book, although he did say he would much rather be with me. "What are your plans for Christmas?" he asked.

"Have a nice, quiet time with my family, I guess. How about you?" 

"Yeah, me too. I missed spending Christmas with them last year, so I can't do that again this time around." He paused, seeming thoughtful. "Would have been interesting if you could join me."

"What? As in ... meet your ... ?" I let out a nervous, too-loud laugh. "I can't, but thanks."

"Maybe some other time? Next year, I suppose - once things settle down?"