11. The Visitor

As if me being in the newspapers once hadn't been enough, there was a picture of me again the next morning. Only this time, it was a picture of me and Sam arguing in the lobby of Kendall City Crowne Plaza.

Oh my God, I thought, trying not to panic, as Mom showed the picture to me.

"Care to explain this, Abby?" she asked that morning, while Jess looked back amd forth between us, probably mentally picking a side.

The headline read 'The Maverick and Wattpad Author Abby Davis In Lovers' Tiff?' It made me wonder who had leaked that photo of us. It had probably been the receptionist, or that older man Sam had impatiently turned away.

Well, it didn't matter. The cat was out of the bag now. It was ironic to think that Jess had been secretly dating for years, and had even been with a married man recently, yet I was the one who'd got caught. That was exactly why I said I was no good at this.

"It's a total misunderstanding," I tried my luck.

"I don't think so."

"Mom, he's a sleazy dating coach for hard-up guys. Do you really think I would go out with someone like that?"

"Then what were you doing with him?"

"I was, uh, getting an autograph for Carmen's brother. He's a big fan."

"He looks angry."

"Well, he didn't want to be bothered."

"And you look upset."

"Well, wouldn't you be?"

She squinted at me. "I'm sorry, Abby – " It was back to Abby now, no more honey or sweetie. "But I don't think I can give you the benefit of the doubt here. You're grounded."

"Aww! Till when?"

"Till I say so."

"Damn it."

She frowned, displeased. "And that just added another 'till I say so' to my previous 'till I say so'."

Right. As if Sam hadn't ruined my life enough. I was beginning to feel that all the fame and attention was not worth the money currently sitting in my bank account.

Anyway, that was how I came to be sitting at home alone on a Friday afternoon, lying in bed and writing notes in the margins of 'Love is a Dirty Word' like: 'stupid', 'loser' and 'no idea what he's talking about'.

Hey, give me a break. I was bored and trying to do anything I could think of to stop pining for him. To unpine. Forget love potions. I would rather have a de-love potion so I could just move on with my life.

Eventually, I heard movement downstairs, which meant Mom must be home early from her bible group meeting.

We were still going to church, and she was still doing her churchly duties, albeit with some awkwardness after that pointless meeting with Reverend Petersen and the others. I think they wanted to excommunicate us initially, but then decided that it was better making nice with the family with money than not.

I left my room, going downstairs and meaning to ask Mom if I could go to Carmen's despite being grounded – after all, it was right next door.

"Mom, can I – " my voice died in my throat at the sight of a strange older man sitting on our living room couch, a bouquet in hand. He tilted his blond head up, showing a gleaming smile.

"Hi. You must be Abby."

I swallowed, and it took me a minute to speak. "Who are you? And ... what are you doing in my house?"