Chapter 37

2 and a half years ago
Lilly's POV

"This is getting ridiculous, you have to stop." I tell Cross in as serious of a voice as I can manage, while I dangle over his shoulder like a monkey.

"No, what's ridiculous is that I've had to do this five times now."

"No one told you you had to do this, you just choose to."

"As if I had any choice."

"We all have choices." I say sternly.

He just sighs and mutters something under his breath, I think I hear him say something about being stubborn. But I ignore it.

We finally reach his car, and he opens the door and practically throws me into the front seat. "Ouch!" I yell dramatically.

"Buckle your seatbelt." Is all he says back, before walking around the car and getting in on his side.

I cross my arms and feel myself swaying, so I have to work extra hard to keep myself up. "You know what? I don't think I will."

He looks over at me and stares at me, almost like he's amused. "Fine. I knew you liked it when I had to lean in close and do it myself."

"I do not!" I say back with as much force as I can muster, sounding defensive because I am. Because how the hell does he know that I like it when he does that for me?

Maybe he heard me sniff him last time.

"If you don't do it yourself, that's what I'm going to start to believe."

I make a frustrated sound, but reach around my right shoulder to grab the seatbelt strap. "You are very pushy, do you know that?"

"If the worst thing you can say about me on the nights that I basically save your life, is that I'm pushy? I think I can deal with that." I swear I see a smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

"You do not save my life. I would get home just fine from these functions without you." I roll my window to let a cool breeze in, my skin feeling too warm in this car with him.

"Except you don't go home, do you?" He asks, and he knows he has me there by the smug tone of his voice.

And what could I say back anyway? He's right. I'm hardly ever at home anymore unless it's during the week for school, and even then I sometimes end up at Nadine's house.

      "Why haven't you been talking to Riley at the parties?" I ask him, knowing he's seen the beautiful girl every time he's come to get me. And each time he ignores her.

       "Because I don't want to lead her on to believe that there's something between us when there's not."

      "Maybe there is, and you just won't give it a shot."

       "I know fairly soon if I'm going to be interested in a girl in a more than friendly way." He looks at me, and I wonder if there's something more I should be reading into in that statement.

      "How can you know so soon? You don't know  someone the first time you meet them. People might surprise you and show you a different side of their self when you really get to know them." I'm drunk, but not too drunk to realize that I'm babbling. And that I'm semi jealous of him and Riley, and there's not even anything going on between them.