Chapter Twenty- Eight - That's The Problem

CHAPTER TWENTY- EIGHT

I never should have gone out of the house.

Maybe if I had been there then I could have somehow helped... the elevator took me higher and instantly stopped at level seven.

"Sanders." I told the nurses at the desk, apart me realised that they were Grandma Lynn's friends but I didn't acknowledge it.

"Room 12." One of them said.

I nodded slightly and ran down the long hallway, my mind raced and I felt like I needed to puke. I told Mason to wait outside while I came in. I burs ted in the room stumbling a bit as I noticed who exactly was in the room.

My dad was on a side chair, his hands over his eyes while Doctor Conners and Caleb stood beside the bed. Then there was Mum, her eyes were closed and she was still. Too still.

I sucked in a breath.

Caleb's head snapped towards me. He approached me in a second and wrapped his hand around mine. With a pained expresssion he dragged me out of the room.

"Alley, Alley, Alley." I was only half aware that he had placed me on a chair and was lightly shaking my shoulders. I looked down at him as he sighed in relief. "Alley she's going to be fine."

I chocked on my tears as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Shes going to be fine." He whispered again. Caleb quickly sat on the chair next to me and picked me up. He placed me on his lap and wrapped his arms around me again. I sucked in a shock breath as he rocked me forwards and backwards.

"Are you sure?" I felt him nod, I sighed in relief. "What happened?"

"I don't really know." His voice rumbled against where my head laid. "I came back to my house to find a note from my dad. I don't think he really thought to text me. So stupid. Anyway I instantly came here and dad told me that after they went back to there's she had randomly collapsed. I think it's the cancer."

A sob surfaced from my throat. "Its getting worse right?"

His arms tightened there hold. "I think so Alley."

There was a quiet moment as I cried in his chest, the only sound were my sniffs as I tried to stop my nose from running on his shirt.

Embarrassing.

It could have been hours if not minutes later that I heard another sound.

"Alley?" I looked up to find Sam staring down at me. She looked slightly uncomfortable and I had to remind myself that she was never really good at these things. "Is she okay?" There was an desperate plea in her voice and I noticed that her eyes were slightly red.

We were both worried.

I couldn't answer, my throat tightened again. Was she OK? I didn't know.

Thankfully Caleb answered for me. "She's alive."

Nice answer.

Awkwardly, I climbed away from Caleb's embrace and hugged Sam. She smiled weakly, "You want to go and get a coffee?"

I shrugged and started to follow her down the hallway. I stopped and turned around. "Thank you."

He frowned. "For what?"

"Being here for me."

"Alley, I'm always here for you." He said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Sam tugged onto my arm and I quickly followed her down the hallway. Everything was white and clean.

"So how did you get here?" I asked, my fingers ran across the wall as Sam stood close to me. She hated hospitals.