3- Why is the silence so loud?

These days held no interest for me.  

No matter how sunny and bright the sky was, everything seemed grey and dull.  

No matter how loud the room was, everything seemed silent, dead.  

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop from seeing the worst in everything.

I had never really enjoyed going to school, for all its boring history lessons, English homework...  

But now, I dreaded going there. Not because there was someone there that I hated.

Because there WASN'T someone there.  

More than one person, actually.

I limped to my homeroom, struggling to hold my textbooks and hold onto my crutches.  

I slumped down on my desk and stuffed my books in the tray.  

Everyone walked to the Hall, where the principal was wearing a black suit, and all the teachers had black ribbons pinned to their shirts.  

Finally everyone settled down.  

"I am sorry to announce," began the headmaster. "That our school has lost three pupils in a car accident on the way to New Court."  

There was an eerie silence, as everyone took this in.  

"There were five students involved; Korrie Lassen, who was driving. She is in care at the hospital, suffering a broken collarbone and serious internal bleeding.  

Lucinda Graybelle, who did not make it out with her life."  

Many girls gasped and started to cry. I kept my face expressionless, biting down hard on my lip, to keep the tears in.  

"Narcissa Graybelle, who is now paralyzed for life."  

A group of eighth graders sitting close by to me burst out crying, hugging each other.  

"Lily Sparrow, who is here today, escaping with a broken leg."  

People looked at me, some breathing sighs of relief.  

"And...Magenta McCormak, who died on impact--"  

The entire hall erupted with screams, howls and sobs.  

"Magenta, no-- please--" "Not her! No!"  

I sat there, and looked around at the grieving school. I saw my brother, sitting isolated in a corner, his face frozen. I saw the glisten of tears.  

"This school has suffered a great loss. We have a memoriam in the front cafeteria, and a guestbook will be available to sign. There is a Facebook page, please visit and leave messages. Dismissed."  

The headmaster broke down, and I knew why.  

She was Lucinda's mother.

My brother and I got up quietly and exited the room.

Why did the silence have to be so loud?

Why was the emptiness so full of grief? 

Why were my tears not enough to bring her back?