The Monster

THEY reconvened in the tavern of the inn. Arren collapsed upon a chair, downing several tankards of ale with ease. After his sixth his head drooped and he fell asleep on the table.

"Well," started Decide. "I guess introductions are in order,"

Orlan shifted uncomfortably. "Yeah. And- I feel that I must thank you all. You most likely saved my life. I was under the control of that... creature for many weeks. I believe my father is too- and I will do anything to save him. You all have my promise that I will help you however I can. I may not be a prince without my crown, but I have my sword and my magick. We'll save my kingdom. And if need be... I will take my father's throne. But... only if that's the only way to save him."

"Thank you, your highness!" Petrouli chirped, his eyes glittering. "I'm Petrouli, by the way. I'm the Oracle. There is a prophecy that details the end of this world, and we are trying to gather people to help! Defeating this darkness will be a big step in preparing us for the inevitable horrors that we will face sooner or later! Glad you could join the team!"

Orlan smiled, confused. "Thanks- I guess?"

"I'm Luca," the werewolf introduced himself. "And I'm a lycanthrope. Nice to meet you, your highness," he shifted in his seat, nervous.

The prince smiled again. "Would you mind calling me Orlan? If we're to be a team, we should be on equal ground. I don't feel we could work that well if you're all calling me 'his highness', no offence." he chuckled.

Petrouli and Luca glanced at each other, then nodded. Both boys were in such awe of the important figure that sat in a dirty cloak before them, talking normally as if they were all just common people...

Suddenly Arren lurched upwards, waking up. He groaned and clutched his head in pain, then settled back into his chair.

"I don't know your name," Orlan said to him, curious. "You're a hunter, aren't you? Like Decide."

"It's Arren," Arren replied.

"Nice to meet you, Arren. Thank you for rescuing me."

"Meh, it was nothing."

Orlan raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow and adjusted himself in his chair. "Well, what now?" he asked, looking around the table.

They were a strange group, the lot of them. A hunter, a vampyre, a prince, a werewolf, and a prophet. Gathered together for a purpose. Gathered together to plan the reclaiming of a corrupted kingdom, to defeat an ancient evil threatening the prosperity of the human race.

"Would it be possible to exorcise the king like you did Orlan?" Decide asked the hunter.

He shook his head grimly. "If the king is really the one controlling the others then the darkness will be completely fused with his body and his soul. They'll be inseparable. It may be possible to subdue it, but who knows how long that'll work, if it works at all."

"So where will they be guarding him?" she wondered.

"Most likely the throne room. It's the easiest place in the castle to defend. My father wouldn't want himself locked up in the dungeons while his soldiers die elsewhere." the prince answered.

"That makes sense," Decide mused.

"And none of the soldiers are controlled, are they? What about the captain? Your friend?" Petrouli asked.

"No- he's fine. The soldiers are fine as well. I believe the darkness was just aiming for the royal family. Well, the healthy members, anyway. My mother is safe." Orlan said.

"We'll have to avoid killing them," Luca said sadly. "They're just regular humans, defending their king. We're on their side."

"That'll be extremely difficult, seeing as they're trying to kill us." Arren said gruffly, and Luca hung his head.