The Horde

THE afternoon came and went. Snoring peacefully, the two companions dozed on, resting their weary bodies. As the sky grew darker, people began to return to their homes, the dangers of the night prominent in their alcohol-addled minds. But people nonetheless partied, their drunken voices rousing the huntress and the werewolf, finally, as the light of the great Moone replaced that of the sun's.

"Good evening," Decide muttered, rubbing her eyes. "Ugh. I don't feel so good. How much did I drink?"

"A fair bit," Luca replied, feeling nauseous as well.

"Ready to kill some vamps?" the huntress asked brightly.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Decide strapped on her sword and dagger, and Luca limbered up, stretching his arms and legs, cracking his neck. The festival was in full swing as they wound their way through throngs of people drinking, praying, dancing, or some weird mixture of them all.

They left the city, marching bravely out the massive gate with a number of other warriors, vampyre slayers with their bright jackets, and mercenaries, and the soldiers of Cyule. Many were swathed in bandages from fighting the previous nights.

A horde, they whispered amongst themselves, a swarm of vampyres, blood-crazed and vicious, they would not stop until their bodies were one with the wind, blowing away as ash and dust. It was like nothing they had ever experienced before; even the most talented warrior could be overcome easily. It was every man for himself come night, the number of vampyres endless and ever increasing, until the light of day erupted over the horizon, incinerating any creature lucky enough to have been left alive.

Behind them, the great iron gate shut closed, the spikes on its bottom digging deep into the ground. There was no going back now, it was kill or be killed, in the plains beyond the white walls of the city. The white walls that were spattered with red blood, crusted and congealed over time.

"Ready to die, Luca?" Decide asked happily.

The brave little werewolf's hands shook, but he nodded. "I'm ready,"

"Good. Because here they come,"

In the dim moonlight, a dark wave could be seen passing over a hill in the distance. The wave roared in hunger as it drew near the glowing city, and the warriors tensed, readying their weapons. Decide drew her sword and gripped her dagger in her left hand, and Luca morphed into a large, sleek wolf, eyes glowing and teeth glinting in the moonlight. A wave of shock rippled through the hardened warriors as they took in the muscled glory of the lycanthrope before them. But their attention quickly returned to the threat encroaching upon them, the beasts made of bloode and nyte.

And suddenly the vampyres were upon them all. The noise grew to a cacophony, the screams of dying men mingled with the clash of iron and flesh, silver and bone, the splatter of blood on the earth, the howls of the beasts, and the thunk of flesh meeting flesh. Everything became a blur, a
fight for survival, as the vampyres sprang to meet the warriors, claws sharp and fangs sharper. Decide was a whirlwind of red and silver, never hesitating, dealing out death for any beast that dared approach her.

Luca was a demon coated in gore, the guts and blood of the vampyres dripping from his maw and his fur, darting as he was, faster than the eye could see, ripping and tearing with his great paws, meting out death.

Warriors died around them, teared into by the immortal beasts, drained of their lifeblood, and their bloodless corpses shuddered, brought back to life by the darke magick that kept the vampyres alive. The vampyres just kept coming and coming, and hope was beginning to fade from the hearts of the living. Even the veterans looked nervous, yelling at each other questions, wondering why there were so many. Why they never stopped, the endless wave, why the creatures were in an irreversible bloodcraze.