The Princess

"SISTER!" called the prince again, his arms open, inviting. "Welcome home, finally! We- we thought you dead! I am so happy to see you..."

"What in the Moone's name is going on?" Decide cried again, turning to the stunned werewolf for an explanation. He just shrugged.

The citizens began to talk amongst themselves, pointing at her, then at the prince, then scouring her with their penetrating gazes. She kept hearing whispers of "Princess, the princess is back! She's alive!" and became all the more confused.

And then another figure emerged from the gates. It was the king himself, regal and imposing. His subjects bowed before him, kneeling onto the dirty street. He stopped right in front of Decide, and stared at her.

"What's all this commotion?" he demanded.

Orlan ran to his side, excited. "The princess- she has returned!"

"The princess?" he narrowed his dark eyes.

Decide gulped under the fierce scrutiny.

"I must admit, she certainly does look like you, Orlan. The hair, the facial shape- but her eyes- they are neither mine nor your mother's." he spoke slowly, straightening up.

"May we- may we bring her to the castle?" Orlan asked cheerfully.

"The castle? Whatever for, son?"

"If she is the true princess, won't she recognize it? Where she was born?"

The king's eyes widened. "She might." then he turned to Decide again. "Child- what is your name?" she gulped, then replied, "My name is Decide Daye, your highness."

"Decide..." he tasted the word, contemplating. "All right. You may enter the castle. If you are truly the princess, you will be welcome as such from then on."

"I- I'm not the princess. I know my parents. I grew up here, as a poor child! I cannot be the princess, your highness- please, I have somewhere to be-" she started, but was interrupted by the king.

"We won't know anything until you've entered the castle! Guards, bring her in! Don't let her escape," he shouted, then turned on his heel, stomping back into the castle grounds.

What the hell is going on? Was all Decide could think. She didn't even resist as the guards grabbed her arms and dragged her through the gates. She vaguely registered the sound of Luca calling her name, but her mind was too occupied to care. Am I the lost princess? Is my father actually the king? Is that why my mother said he 'left'? It isn't uncommon for a king to have his mistresses... but... I... am I the princess? Decide was just so confused.

Orlan followed behind her, smiling, glowing. Decide couldn't see it, but something sinister twinkled in his eyes.

They reached the shining castle, and the tall, wooden doors were opened for them as they strode through. The floors were polished marble, the walls were alabaster, and everything just shone and shone and reflected, light coming from the massive windows, and the crystal chandeliers, and the torches in sconces on the walls...

So much gold was everywhere, so much richness... it was too much. Too gaudy. It made Decide sick. She elbowed at the guards until they released her, and she followed them down corridor after corridor, twisting and turning until they arrived at an ornately carved door. It was opened by an attending servant, and Decide entered into what she thought was the most lavish bedroom she'd ever seen. Huge oil portraits of a beautiful, golden haired woman hung on the stone walls, and tapestries of all kinds hund beside them. The largest feature, though, was a four poster bed made of maple wood, the covers red and velvet and silk. Laying on the bed was a woman, wrinkles marring her once-lovely face. Her emerald eyes twinkled. The queen. Henna. Orlan, a spitting image of her.