The Prophecy

"OF course! Every princess has suitors. Who in their right mind wouldn't want ta marry a princess?" the woman chuckled.

Decide grumbled as the servant helped her up, then opened the bedroom door, leading her out down the hallway, down another and another, until they entered into a massive room- the castle ballroom.

"Woah," Decide gaped. She'd never seen a room this big before.

The floor was a bright, polished white, the walls painted a pale gold. Sunlight shone through massive windows on either side of the gigantic room, and were covered with a sheer lilac fabric. A diamond chandelier hung from the center of the mosaic-covered ceiling, its width spanning several meters. The damn lamp was bigger than most people's houses.

Other servants stood on ladders around the walls, cleaning and buffing and polishing everything to perfection.

"Who's teaching me to dance?" Decide wondered aloud.

"Me," came a voice from behind.

Decide whirled to find the crown prince standing in front of her, smiling. He wore plain clothes, without the gleaming armour of before. Only the long rapier in his belt remained, along with his golden crown.

"Don't you have something better to do?" Decide huffed, and the old woman scurried off to help with the proceedings.

"I do not have anything to do, actually." the prince replied.

"I'm not dancing with you."

The prince frowned. "Am I that hideous to look at?"

"Whatever you say. I have no intention of dancing."

Orlan sighed. "My father has ordered me to teach you to dance. I expect you don't want to embarrass yourself, no? You will be forced to dance with many men at the ball later."

"Not if I stab them first," Decide glared at him. Her? Dancing with all sorts of old and icky noble men? She'd sooner hack her arm in half with a blunt butter knife.

"There's nothing to stab them with," the prince argued, frowning. "We made sure to take away all of your possessions. Well, excepting that necklace. It is a religious symbol."

"It symbolizes nothing. I don't believe in your stupid gods, princeling." she spat.

"Then why do you wear it?"

"It was my mother's. I shall never part with it."

The prince sighed. "Whatever you wish. But I still must teach you to dance. Okay?"

"No."

The prince growled, then tried to calm himself. "Ugh... well, what if I promise you that you won't have to dance with old men? Is that the problem?"

"The problem is, you frickin kidnapped me. I want to leave."

"Okay! But! My father will be very angry if I don't do this! I have no choice. Please, just go along with it, sister. I'll make sure you only dance with the younger men. Capiche?"

Decide narrowed her eyes, contemplating. If she took him up on his offer, she'd dance with him right now- but wouldn't dance with greasy old men later. Or, she could not dance with the prince (a favourable option) and leave before the ball. Only, the problem with the latter was she was likely to get taken back again- probably by the prince, with his awful light magick. Finally, she conceded.

"Fine. But you must promise- no old men."

Orlan nodded happily. "Of course! I promise,"

The crown prince began to guide her through the motions, teaching her the simplest dance, one she could easily master within a day. Decide was light on her feet, after her years of assassin training, and agile, so she was a quick learner, and easily mastered the simple dance after a couple hours.