Chapter 37: Unbreak My Heart

·Grace's POV·

Stupid, stupid, stupid. That's what I've been calling myself ever since I walked out of St. George's secret spot. I mean, it's his choice, not mine. Who am I to live his life for him? Oh yeah, that's right:

Just the girl who is head over heels in love with him, nothing serious.

I know it was a very selfish move, but I couldn't help it. Archer has become an essential part of my life and now he wants to walk away from it. Just thinking about it makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs.

"Grace, snap out of it. The bell rang almost two minutes ago." Toli prodded.

"Wh-What?"

"You heard her, girl. Either you stand up or I take your disoriented white ass out of here." Isaac continued.

"No need for that, thanks for the offer."

"It wasn't an offer, it was a threat."

Jeez, he better calm down. It's not like I've kept them waiting for an hour, just two minutes tops. Toli and Isaac started walking towards the door, but Katie stayed.

"Are you still thinking about what happened?"

"That obvious?"

"Pretty much, yeah." She giggled.

"Agh! I was such the egotistical brat, Katie!" I put my hands over my face in embarrassment.

"Hey, it's Archer who we're talking about here. I'm sure he will understand your point, as far as I'm concerned. Not that I know him personally."

"And taking into account how I behaved with him two days ago, you never will."

Katie is very empathetic, she tried to understand what I'm feeling right now. The mixture of embarrassment, regret, anger and sadness. Quite the emotional mess.

Being in high school was supposed to make me forget about all of that. However, it only makes it worse.

People look at us, aware of the day before yesterday's events. The student population is divided into two groups:
The ones who stopped thinking I was a looney after hearing the whole story and the ones who still believe I'm a weirdo. What I hate about this situation is how people will remember Scott as an obsessive and crazy murderer wannabe. He didn't deserve this at all. He was bound to be remembered as The Golden Boy, the perfect role model for every guy in this school. Okay, you know what? He was bound to still be alive, period.

It's true what they say, you don't know what you've got until it's gone. It now makes perfect sense.

Before I could process anything else, we reached the parking lot and Toli, Katie and Isaac said their farewells.

"I miss him Grace." Roland confessed by my side, when we were alone.

"I miss him too."

"But he tried to kill you."

"He didn't."

"What?! " He asked me wide eyed.

"It wasn't him. It was a despicable excuse of a being. That's who wanted to kill me."

"Tell me, please. I need to know." Roland was desperate. I understood, Scott was his best friend, but...

"I'll tell you. Someday."

"You aren't ready. I get it."

I nodded.

We stood there for a couple of seconds before I said: