Chapter 15: Lies

·Grace's POV·

Everyone is super excited today. Why? Because boys and girls, today is Halloween. People around school are wearing all kinds of accessories. Some of them are wearing witch hats, others have the corners of their mouths covered in fake blood and I think I saw someone wearing a fake knife headband. The funny thing is that my friends and I are also "disguised". We are all wearing sparkly devil horns and tail. You'll be wondering whose idea was it.

Isaac.

"We look so badass." He said to all of us.

"Can you please explain me how sparkly horns make us look like that? Because I don't get it." Roland responded huffing.

"Don't be a party pooper and enjoy this. It's Halloween!" It was Katie's turn to talk. She put her arm around his shoulders and lead him forwards. The look on Roland's face was priceless, staring at Katie's hand in awe. I laughed when they were out of hearing.

"Have we seen the same thing?" Toli asked me.

"Totally. They would make a great couple, don't you think?"

"Indeed. A shame Roland doesn't tell her, I've got a feeling that Katie would love dating him."

"But he's not the only one hiding his true feelings, right Scottie?" Isaac asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Shut up..."

"Ohh, Scott, do you have anything to tell us?" Toli looked at Scott in surprise.

"I... Well... Agh, OKAY! I really like a girl and I'm too scared to tell her."

That shocked me.

"Are you serious? You are every girl's definition of 'Perfect Boy': handsome, smart, loyal and caring. Don't ever doubt yourself again Scott Reed, or I'll beat you, no kidding."

"You really believe that Gracie?" The nervous smile he wore was so cute. How could anyone say no to that face? She must be awesome if she caught Scott's attention.

"One hundred percent, she is one lucky girl. But I hope she treats my friend well, if not, she'll make five new enemies."

"Then I'll tell her at tonight's party."

"Oh no! I totally forgot about the party... Guys I can't come tonight, I'm sorry."

"Wait, what? Why not?" Scott looked just as if I had slapped him.

"My parents want to visit my grandma's grave tomorrow, so we are staying at grandpa's tonight. But I swear that I'll go to the Christmas party. "

And also because today is the 40th anniversary of St. George's fire and I thought of visiting Archer. He might need support and I'm the only one capable of doing so. I will tell Toli and Katie that that is the other reason why I'm not going to the party, but later when we are alone.

"You better! I can't believe you're not coming tonight." Toli almost shouted at me.

"Me neither..."

What's wrong with Scott?

***

After my father parked the car, we entered my grandfather's house. They both went upstairs to unpack and prepare the bedrooms for our stay, so I decided to go and talk with my grandfather for a while. It's been ages since we had a good chat.

I found him in the kitchen, holding a newspaper in his hands. As I was approaching him, the headline of the article he was reading became readable: