Chapter 28: Make Things Right

·Grace's POV·

My life is such a mess at this moment. The Universe seems to think that what I was already going through wasn't enough for me. Now, we need to add Ella mysteriously knowing about Archer and Scott eavesdropping my conversations to my 'problems to solve' list.

Isn't life just great?

Moreover, it's a quarter past eight on a Tuesday morning, meaning that I'm driving not only Toli and Katie to high school, but Isaac too. God, give me strength.

"Are we there yet?" Isaac asked me.

"No..."

"Okay." Ten seconds passed and he continued. "Are we there yet?"

"Isaac, for the thousandth time, NO! If you don't stop annoying me, I'll gladly pull over and force you to walk the rest of the way to high school! Are we clear?!"

"Yes mom." He turned his face to Toli and murmured. "What got her panties in a twist?"

"Just stress, and you being so freaking childish doesn't help either Isaac."

"Excuse you! Many people would pay for the simple pleasure of my company."

"Oh, I see. That's why you got yourself kicked out of the book club, the school's choir, the football team, the drama club (still trying to figure out how did you manage to do that), the swimming team, the-"

"We get it Toli! I'm too fabulous for those people, I know. You don't have to remind me every single time."

"Ugh." Toli rolled her eyes and started to play with her mobile phone.

"We're here." I announced.

"About time! One more minute with the old couple over here-" Katie pointed to Toli and Isaac. "-and I would have jumped off the car. Seriously!"

The four of us stepped out of my Volkswagen when I parked it. In the parking lot, one detail caught my attention. Most of the student population was looking at us. More concretely, at me. I heard some girl ask her friend: "Is it true though? I didn't expected her to be a loony."

What the actual hell is happening?

The moment we reached the lockers, everything made sense. With white paint, someone had painted a ghost under the words: 'Ghost whisperer' on mine. My two best friends and I shared a scared look. How did they know? We have been careful, except when... Oh. Hell. No.

While Isaac was shouting at anyone who stopped and stared, Katie and Toli were saying: "Show is over! Go on with your lives, if you have one!"

Any other time I would think about how amazing my friends can be, protecting me, but that's not my concern at this very moment.

I spotted Roland about to enter his art class. Before he could, I called him.

"Roland, do you know where Scott is? I really need to talk to him."

"He told me he wouldn't be coming to school today. I guess he's feeling sick or something. Why?"

"I want to make sure he wasn't the one spraying my locker."

"Wait, what?"

"A mysterious person thought it was hilarious to make fun of me, apparently."

"What color did that person use, Grace?"

"Why does that even matter?"

"Answer me."

"White. It was white, okay?"