Chapter 24: Betrayal

·Grace's POV·

Although it's Monday morning, the day seems to be completely perfect. The sky is blue, birds are singing, the sun is shining brightly, Archer and I are a couple now... I'm trying to be positive here guys.

But how can I when I'm making my way to high school and on first period I have Maths?

"G, hold on!" Scott shouted from the other side of the parking lot.

He started sprinting towards me, arriving in ten seconds tops. When he did, he started the conversation:

"Hey, I've got something to ask you."

"Ask away then, Scottie."

The bell rang, signaling the beginning of my personal torture.

"I guess it'll have to wait until lunch. Hurry up, we don't want the teacher to get mad at us."

                                ***

There they go, three precious hours of my life. Don't get me wrong, I love learning but I still don't see how am I going to use the Pythagoream Theorem in my day-to-day life.

Anyway, my friends are at the cafeteria and knowing them, they must be already eating without me. Such the thoughtful people.

And I'm not wrong, ladies and gentlemen.

"How nice of you to wait five minutes for me to arrive. I love you too, you know?" I sarcastically said.

"We were hungry! Do you like seeing me suffer, huh? Is that what you want?!" Isaac hysterically asked me, chewing a bite of his club sandwich.

"Shut it, I don't need your excuses."

Scott touched my shoulder ever so lightly with his index finger, asking for my attention.

"Yes?"

"About what I wanted to ask you this morning. Can we both talk about it in private right now?"

"Let me eat my sandwich and I'll be with you. Five minutes."

"Of course, no rush."

Five minutes later as I predicted and the sandwich falling from my esophagus to my stomach, Scott and I escaped our group and went directly to the hallway.

"What did you want Scott?"

"I've been wanting to ask you something for a very long time, G. I know I have been acting like an idiot lately, but I promised I would make it up to you. I intend to keep said promise, starting with this." From his backpack he took out a simple yet beautiful rose. "Will you go to prom with me? "

No fucking way.

What do I do now? I mean, I don't want to hurt him but I must turn the offer down. Archer is kind of my boyfriend and since he said he would look for a way to go to prom with me after my declaration on Saturday, I can't say yes to Scott.

"Scott, I'd love to-" His face lit up. "-but I might be going with someone else."

I hate crashing my friend's hopes. Even if it's necessary though, I would rather not to.

"Did that dude, Archer, ask you out?" Bad news, his nostrils are flaring in anger.

"Yes, he did. We have been together since Saturday."

"GREAT! FUCKING FANTASTIC!"

"What did you expect then?!" I almost shouted, responding to his tantrum.

"For starters, I imagined you and I could go to prom together. You are oblivious Grace! I've been dying for you ever since we met. You were the only good thing in my life. Don't you see? Even if my day went horribly wrong, it only took one of your breathtaking smiles directed at me to make it one thousand times better. My sunshine, the reason why I would get out of bed every morning. As if life hasn't been cruel enough with me, now it wants to take you away from me!"

"You aren't losing me in any way. I'm just going to prom with Archer, that's it."

"Don't you dare pronounce his name or I'll lose it at this very moment. You were supposed to end up with me, your best friend! That night, at the party, it was me who you should have danced with. We would have had a great time together. I was going to come clean to you about my feelings. Why would you choose that excuse of a man instead of me? It's me who has always been there for you. Who looked after you when you had fever and your parents weren't at home? Who has always made time to see you in between jobs when he was supposed to be resting? Who has defended you against jerks at school, even though he knows you don't need his protection? Was it Archer? I don't think so. "

"Scott, I don't take you for granted. You are one of the most important people in my life and I don't want to imagine how my future would look like without you with me. I'm sorry if I hurt you and I really hope you are willing to forgive me."

"Grace, please, give me a chance. I love you. There, I said it. I love you Grace Lancaster. You know my darkest secrets and my greatest ambitions. After hearing about the story of my life, you still chose me and stayed for who I am. Nobody will understand me as much as you do. Tell me you love me, please."

"I do, but not the way you want me to love you. You are my best friend, my companion, my brother. That's it. I wish I could look you the way you deserve, like the way I look at Archer or the way Roland looks at Katie. One day you'll find that one girl and you'll thank me for not having wasted your time."

"I want that girl to be you, dammit!" Scott hit the locker next to my head, making me jump in fear. What's happening to him? Never have I seen him this hysterical and furious.

"You are scaring me Scott. Get away from me."

"Oh, so this scares you, huh? Well, you see that bump I've made to the locker? That's what it feels like to be left heartbroken. And you, Grace, are responsible for breaking mine. Fucking congratulations." He finished, throwing the rose he got for me into the bin.

After that awful conclusion, Scott left me standing in the middle of the hallway alone. I then realized I've been biting my lip this whole time, provoking it to bleed uncontrollably. One tear left my right eye, being the first of the hundreds I'll let flow when I get home.

                               *****

A.N: Scott is sooo jelous. Can't blame him though. He might be trouble, but we can see where he's coming from. Will they make amends? Keep reading!!
Love,