Chapter 3::FROSH

Chapter 3

The lunch bell rang, and everyone slowly walked out of the cafeteria, not wanting to let go of his or her one hour of freedom. I gathered my books from the table and picked up my bag, slinging it over my shoulder as I did. I exited to room, turning left on my way to 5th period math. I re-adjusted the strap of my bag, repositioning it so it wouldn't press so hard. I had only been walking for a few minutes, almost to my classroom, when suddenly I was attacked from behind. By a pair of giant, strong arms. As they wrapped around my waist, I jumped from the surprise. A low chuckle sounded next to my ear. Skye. I turned around, and there were his deep brown eyes staring back down at me through his hair.

"Remember me now?" he asked with a smirk.

"If I don't die from the surprise first, maybe," I quipped.

"That was hilarious, you completely freaked out!"

"Well, duh! You surprised me, what did you think was going to happen?" I said, laughing.

As I laughed, I took in the sight of him. I noticed the spray of small freckles across his cheeks and nose, which you had to be close up to see. Trying not to let him see, I quickly looked him up and down, trying to mentally take note of his appearance. He was tall, like almost a foot taller than me, but I think I remember him saying something about playing basketball in his Facebook profile. He also had his ears pierced, a small white stud in each ear. Most of all, though, I noticed his smile and how it never seemed to vanish from his lips.

I smiled up at him, realizing that, though I wasn't surprised anymore, my heart was still racing. I looked around for the cause and found that his hand had wriggled its way into my own. Oh.

"So, um, what are you doing for Halloween?" he asked hesitantly.

"I'm not sure yet. I think Kayla is going to drag me to some party she's having at her house that night." I answered, not even thinking. Kayla does it every year, and every year I fight her not to go. I guess you could call it a Halloween tradition. But then it occurred to me to ask, "Why?"

"Oh, no reason, just wondering," he smiled.

The warning bell rang. My hand fly out of his hand, and I started down the hallway towards my classroom, yelling out a goodbye behind me as I left. I would've looked back at him to smile, but I figured he was already halfway to his own class, so I decided not to.

I had just come through the classroom door when the late bell rang. I quickly took my seat. I took out my notebooks for math ad felt a buzz coming from my jeans. My phone. I took it out, turned it off vibrate, and set it on the table so my teacher wouldn't see or hear it. It read: 1 New Text Message. I opened it, thought it was from a number not in my contacts.

I'll take that as an invite to the Halloween party?

I instantly knew. Skye. I quickly typed my response, making sure my teacher didn't suspect anything.

Me: only if you have a costume. No costume, no party. Rules are rules ☺

Skye: of course, but you'll have to help me with costume ideas

Me: I'm not very good at that, but I'll try

Skye: haha, everyone's good at costume ideas!

Me: sure whatever you say lol

It was then that I realized that he and I had inadvertently made a date