Chapter 4::FROSH

Chapter 4

I woke up suddenly, jolting upright as my alarm went off. Fumbling for the button on my phone, I turned off the alarm. I've got to stop setting everything so loud. I swear I'll be deaf by the time I'm 20 if I don't. All the blood rushing to my head caused it to ache. I lay back down in my bed, already tired just thinking about having to get up and go to school. The pain in my head dispersed and I sat up again, this time more slowly than before.

I walked blindly to my bathroom and turned on the light. It illuminated both my bathroom and the rest of my room enough so I was able to walk without having to worry about tripping over the many clothes I had all over my floor. I turned from the bathroom, squinting until my eyes adjusted to the light.

I looked in the mirror to find a monster with awful bed head staring back at me. And so, my morning routine commenced. I straightened my brown and blonde two-toned hair, letting my fringe fall partly in my eyes, adding a white bow-clip on the right side. Next was the eyeliner and mascara, creating the cat eyes that were my signature. I walked into my closet. It felt like a comfy day to me. I picked up my favorite neon blue, extra large sweatshirt that had the sleeves cut at the wrist. It was not a pants day, so instead I put on a pair of black leggings. My look was completed when I slipped on my favorite pair of checkered chuck taylors. I grabbed my bag from the desk I had put it, and down the stairs I went, ready for breakfast.

Once I had made myself a piece of toast, some coffee, and was finished pouring it into my lime green mug, I was out the door to walk to the bus stop. It was a 15-minute walk, tops. By the time I got there, it was only a minute before the bus came, just for me seeing as there was nobody else at my stop. I hopped on, took my seat, and popped in my ear buds, blasting whatever song was on.

I stared through my window at the passing trees, their leaves not all there. It kind of looked like all the trees were balding, though I've thought this ever since I was little. My mind wandered. Somehow it ended up on the topic of Halloween.

I didn't even know what my costume was, let alone help Skye figure out his as well. Kayla had said something about Thing 1&Thing 2, you know, from Dr. Seuss? I'm not sure about that though. Sure, we could just go to Party City and buy a costume, but what fun would that be? Besides, if we did that, there'd be at least 20 other people with the same costume, if not more.

The bus slowed as it pulled into a parking spot to let us off. One by one, we all hopped down from the bus and started the last leg of our journey to school, a walk to the front doors.

I entered the building, immediately taking a right, headed towards my locker where Kayla and I met every morning. A tradition. I took another sip from my coffee mug, craving the much-needed caffeine. I felt the heat of my French Vanilla coffee on my tongue, and satisfaction displayed itself on my lips, a smile on my face.

As I neared my locker, my hand automatically reached for it, a habit.

"Hey bitch," Kayla greeted me, monotonous.

"What's up slut?" I replied in the same way.

She giggled. I turned the lock the last time and felt it click, letting me know I could now open my locker. But when I did, a glimmer of white caught my eyes. A piece of small, white paper fluttered to the ground. I first took out the books from my bag and put them into my locker, lessening the weight of my bag, before bending down the pick it up. I looked it over, reading the writing it had on it.

2968 Runningway. Come at 7. Bring popcorn. ☺

That was all it said. An address, a time...and popcorn? If the point was to be creeper-like, I should probably tell them the smiley face isn't really helping their cause.

"What's that?" Kayla asked after observing the confused look that had planted itself on my small face.

"...An address?" I answered, thought it came out as a question. "Is it just me, or was the French homework last night a lot harder than usual?"

I switched topics quickly so Kayla wouldn't ask questions. What was I supposed to tell her? Some guy who may or may not be interested in me that may or may not show up at her Halloween party (though he did kind of invite himself) may or may not have stuffed a piece of paper in my locker that contained an address, time, and instruction? Not to mention, it was also 7:45am. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to answer complicated questions that early in the morning.

I stuffed the small paper into my sweatshirt pocket, closed my locker, and started towards my first period, knowing Kayla would follow.