08 | eight

A / N

We're closing in to October, which means that If The Shoe Fits is about to begin! That book is as important to Universe #1 as Miles Away is to Universe #2. It's Noelle's take on self-love and body image and feminism (and a hot mmc...), so I'm quite determined to post it.

That being said, this unfortunately means that Miles Away will have slower updates. It should be at least once a week, but I can't fix a specific day because my schedule for October is all over the place.

So one more for the road, before we slow things down.

x Noelle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

0 8

(aka the one where Noelle has given up on chapter titles...)

"NO, NO DEAL!" Jessa shook her head vigorously at me. "Absolutely not!"

I stared at her in amusement and shoved more mac & cheese into my mouth. The frozen food from the vending machine was mediocre at best, but we were swamped with work that day. So we'd stayed in the office and, during our brief lunch break, I proceeded to tell Jessa all about my deal with Miles.

I couldn't tell Brielle for obvious reasons, and Flo would no doubt give me some useless advice about straddling him in his office chair. Jessa was my best bet, even though she looked well and truly horrified.

I took a sip of water and asked, "Why not?"

"Because!" She threw her hands up, as though that were explanation enough. When I raised my eyebrows at her, she added, "It's like making a deal with the devil—"

"Miles is not—"

"I know, you think the world of him. But do you know this version of him? He might've kept all his promises back then, but that was years ago. Who's to say he won't go back on his words once you go out with him?"

"I'm not going out with him. I'm his plus one for, like, three events." I shrugged. "I think you need to have a little more faith in people, Jessa. You might find them surprising you."

"Please," she scoffed. "After my mom left me and my dad back when I was in high school, I learnt one thing: you can't trust anyone fully. Not even the one person who made you and is genetically programmed to love you."

I sighed. "I wish you wouldn't think this way."

"I wish I wouldn't think this way, too. But you and I—we've led very different lives. When has your family ever let you down? As a matter of fact, when has any guy you ever loved let you down, considering you've only ever loved the one?"

"He hasn't."

"Not yet," she corrected. "Listen to me, Darce, you need a game plan or an exit strategy—in case it all goes to shit. Actually..." Her eyes brightened considerably, and she set her fork down. "...this deal with him might just work in your favor."

"Its to our mutual benefit—"

"No, its to yours. I'll tell you what you should do." She leaned forward, her voice lowering to a conspiratorial murmur. "You're going to attend those three events with him. And you're going to be so lovely and charming that he'll fall in love with you again. Once you have his heart in your hands, you can make him agree to anything."