Chapter thirty two: sorting out

Sorting out

"Hayley's mom?" I croaked out after the realization settles in.

"Yes" she nods.

"How do we believe that" I asked and her face turns into a frown.

"I went to college together with Nick and Jade. I dated Nick in my first year of school" she says and my eyes snapped to her.

"What happened then?" I ask curiously.

"I got pregnant for him" she explains.

"I know that fact" I say letting out a humorless laugh. "How come you are working as a secretary?" I ask because she has to be kidding me right now.

"I dropped out after giving birth to the baby. My parents kicked me out and no one wanted to relate with me" she said tears already coming out of her eyes.

"So you gave the baby back to Nick?" I ask as calm as I can be.

"Yes" she says nodding. "I couldn't take care of her myself" she said.

This story doesn't seem so right. It seems so twisted in so many places.

"It's been four years, why haven't you contacted Nick all time? Why now?" I ask her trying to hide my anxiety.

"I have been trying my very best to reach him but I couldn't. How will I have done it?" she asked and I got confused. "I couldn't just barge into his life like" she said with tears.

Well that is what you just did I thought to myself.

"So when did you decide it was time to know your daughter?" Nick finally speaks after being silent the entire time.

"After I heard she had come back to New York" she said looking down at her laps.

"Who did you hear this from" Nick said his voice thick.

"Jade" she said simply and I looked at her wishing to burn holes into her head for being such a terrible person.

"Have you always been in touch with Jade?" Nick asked and she nodded.

"So why didn't you ask her to link you up with me then, you will have gotten to meet your daughter long enough" Nick said and I nodded in agreement.

"She had already gotten me a job at my current place" she noted to us and I nodded.

I remember my dad saying that Mr. Knight recommended her to the company when I first met her. That time she wasn't my secretary. Heck, I wasn't even working there at that time I was still in college. So Jade made her father give her friend work.

"Jade was the only person who still stick by my side when I was in trouble" she said licking off the remaining of her lip stick.

"I will have been there too" Nick said and that statement didn't feel right. "I mean Hayley will have needed you too" he corrected himself but it still felt so shallow to me.

If Elena had not left him then he won't be here with me again. I know I'm already developing feelings for him and I already feel as if it's a wrong time already.

"So what will happen now?" I ask ready to hear my greatest fear.

"I don't need anything big. I just want to be closer to my daughter so I can be in her life while she is growing up" Elena spoke but it all still felt so wrong.

"There will be no problem with that" Nick said and I nodded alongside.

"Thank you" she whispered and I looked at her before glancing at the time.

"Nick, we have to head back to the office I have a meeting in twenty minutes" I say and he looms sad.

"Can I come pick you up after work I have a lot to tell you" he says and I nod.

"See you later" I say giving him a hug which he returns

~~~~~~~~~~

"So nice to have you here Mr. Gates" I say as soon as I enter to see a younger version of Mr. Gates. "You are not Mr. Gates" I say and he smiles slightly.

"I'm Mr. Gates son Jacob" he says and I nod.

"That's right, engaged to miss Marshall?" I ask and he shakes his head hastily.

"We are just really close friends.... I mean dating" he says and I nod to him.

"So you scheduled this meeting?" I ask him and he nods.

"Yes I did, we have to discuss a new business product with you" he says and I nod.

"Okay but we deal with fashion accessories" I tell him and he nods further.

"I know that" he says. "We want to expand and create a partnership with you to make a new fashion product" he explains further.

Beside me my phone buzzed and I look down at it. It's a text from am unknown number. I guess I will attend to that after this meeting and speaking of which the twins are supposed to be here with me I think to myself.

"I have to run over all the details before forwarding back to you, so I will go over with vice chairman and get back to you" I tell him.

"I will await your call" he says and I nod.

"Very soon" I say standing up to give him a handshake.

As soon as he steps out with his secretary trailing behind him. I pick my phone and slid over to open the text

Your bestie is back today... Come pick me at the airport.

Mark? Mark is finally back from Africa I think to myself. Why is he calling me then ?couldn't he call his mom?

I send a quick message to Nick that we have to meet some other time that I needed to run an errand before running like a mad person to the airport to pick up my friend who had been long gone.

"Ana" he shrieked like a girl before giving a heartwarming hug.

"Mark" I shrieked back returning his hug with all eagerness.

"I don't think you should hug another man like that" another voice came from behind us.

Hey guys
Vote
Comment
Share
💞❤💞❤💞