Chapter Seventeen - A Lot Can Happen In A Year

*A Year Later*

 I’m going to be honest; I didn’t expect to stay in California for this long. I’m still living with my parents as I go down stairs and see the calendar it’s 29th of August. Wow, it’s been two years since me and Jay met. I never forgot about Jay. He’ll always have a piece of my heart, but I think it’s time I moved on now. I decide to go to the bar by myself, just to think things over. I make my way to the bar and ask for a vodka and coke, seeing as I hadn’t drunk alcohol for ages. The bartender passes me my glass as I begin to daydream staring at the ceiling, stirring my drink with the straw until I feel a presence sit next to me. I look down to see someone who looks very familiar but I’m not sure who.

“Lacey!” He says, oh my God, it’s Chris. He still has one year of prison?

“Oh hey Chris!” I say as the bartender asks if he wants a drink.

“Can I just have a coke please?” He asks before turning back to me, “Staying sober for the rest of my life now…” He tells me.

“Really?”

“Yeah… Look, Lacey I messed up with us two but I’m a changed man… Basically what I’m saying is if you can give me a second chance?” He says putting his hand on mine, I know I shouldn’t trust him but maybe he is right? “Unless you’re still with Jay?” He says as my smile fades.

“No… We broke up a year ago.” I explain taking a sip of my drink.

“Give me a second chance?”

“I’ll think about it, Chris…”

“Well I’ve changed my phone number to get away from them guys… Here.” He says taking a pen out from his shirt and gently taking my hand and writing it down, “Call me when you’ve made your mind up, yeah?”

“Yeah okay… But Chris aren’t you still meant to be in prison?”

“They let me out for good behaviour.” Maybe he has changed…

The next night I sit by the muddier side of the sea where no one goes when I hear footsteps come up behind me. I look up from where I’m sitting to see Jay looking down at me.

“Oh my God, hi Jay!” I say hugging him. The warmth of his arms over takes me as I feel emotions flood my brain but I hold them in. Eventually I let go to see him smiling at me.

“I finally found you…” He murmurs, I raise an eyebrow as confusion drenches my face.

“What do you mean you finally found me?” I laugh.

“Oh erm… I have a lot to explain to you…” He says attempting to laugh.

“Well my time is yours!” I say patting a seat next to me, he sits himself next to me and sighs.

“You didn’t tell me you were going… I would have told you everything I’ve been thinking, and I know you told the others that we could text you and all that but I wanted to tell you in person. For the first few months I flew out to California trying to find you, I didn’t know where your parents lived… I kept coming to this beach, re-watching memories of us in the sea when I got a call from the guys telling me I had to come home and do interviews, gigs and meeting fans so I went home and I never came back until we had to do a gig here… So here we are and I decided I’d go for one last try to find you.

“You found me!” I laughed, “Why were you looking for me?”

“Because I loved you…”

“Do you still love me?” I ask, not knowing whether I should have said that or not.