Chapter Three - Avoid the obvious, we should be facing the truth

Chris promised me not to get drunk for the rest of the month. He kept the promise yet I keep finding empty bottles everywhere. Spending less and less time at home and more and more time at Jay’s along with the rest of the lads, every time I do go home after being with Jay and Chris is drunk, it scars the worst. Jay doesn’t have a clue about everything. Not like I can’t trust him – I can. It’s just I’ve only known him for a month and just to tell him all that’s happening. I don’t know how he would react. The bruises and scars really do show through now and Chris isn’t as sorry as he used to be. I grab a jumper and jeans and walk down the beach, sea water splattering my jeans as I walk across.

I feel arms wrap around my waist gently as I wince at the pain, they suddenly take their hands away as I turn around to see Jay, confusion written all over his face and worries flooding the blue seas of his eyes.

“You okay, Lacey? Sounded like I hurt you?” He asks topless in just his jeans and converse, his tshirt tucked into his jeans.

“I’m fine, I didn’t expect you to come over, shocked me that’s all!” I laugh as the worries slowly fade away, if only he’d stop asking if I was alright nowadays.

“This may sound weird but I’ve noticed that you’ve been wearing jumpers and jeans rather than bikinis and shorts?” He stutters laughing.

“That does sound weird, you creepy guy!” I laugh.

“No but honestly, are you okay, Lacey?”

“I’m fine, Jay!”

“You know you can tell me anything…”

“Of course I can.” I say ‘– just not this’ I carry on my sentence in my head. I honestly can’t tell him. I don’t even know how he would react.

We go down to the chip shop for breakfast; I usually go home at 12 to look after Chris as he wakes up with a serious hang over. He has a serious alcoholic problem. It’s getting worse by the day, and so are the bruises. After I finish my chips I look up to the clock. Shit I have roughly five minutes to get home and what happens if he woke up early for once. I jump out my seat telling Jay I’ll see him soon, before running back home – if I can even call it home anymore. I race through the back garden into the bedroom to see Chris still drunk even in the morning; he must have drunk the whole way through the night. He throws a punch but misses me and hits the wall, which makes him angrier.

“You been out with Jay again, you slut!” He shouts grabbing my arm tightly, throwing me across the room.

“Why do you think I’m dating Jay, Chris?” I shout, tears falling from my eyes.

“I see the way you look at him, you look at him all happy then you look back to me all upset!” He slurs.

“Maybe because Jay doesn’t abuse me! We are over Chris!” I shout as he pulls me up and pushes me against the wall his hand at my throat, making it hard to breath.

“Don’t you dare break up with me otherwise… Otherwise…”

“Otherwise what, Chris? You’ll abuse me? You’re already doing that!” I say pushing him off me and running through the living you hearing him shout ‘you better come back soon, or I’ll kill ya!’

Running I wipe my eyes until I’m dry as I make my way to Jay’s hotel. I knock on his door to reveal Jay standing their confused as I kiss him. Even though he’s confused he kissing back, in fact I feel him smile as he kisses me until he breaks us apart.

“What about Chris?” He whispers.

“I broke up with him, you’re who I want, Jay.” I say attempting to kiss him when he breaks apart again.

“That doesn’t sound right you have been dating for a year why would you break up with him for me.” He asks confused.

“You’d treat me better than he ever would, it’s you who I want Jay…”

“What’s he done to you?”

“All I know is I want you…”

“Lacey, what’s he done?”