Chapter Ten - I'm Here To Wipe Your Eyes

Nathan unlocks his door and lets me walk in first, as I scan his living room, it’s so much cleaner than mine and Jay’s yet we are still sorting it out. He drops his keys on the table as I sit awkwardly on his sofa, not knowing how to do with myself.

“Erm I don’t really have anything you can wear tonight…” Nathan says awkwardly.

“It’s fine, I’ll just wear Jay’s tshirt it’s so comfortable.”

“Where you gonna sleep?” He asks.

“I could sleep in this sofa?”

“I couldn’t let you do that, you can sleep in my bed, and I’ll sleep on the sofa.”

“I couldn’t let you do that! It’s your flat!”

“Well I suppose I have a double bed so…” Nathan begins as I raise an eyebrow to him.

“Not like that, Lacey!” He laughs, “I mean we could just both sleep in it, that’s easier.” I nod, grinning over at him, the first time I’ve smiled since the incident.

2:00: Me and Nathan lay in the bed, both facing the ceiling, both sets of eye wide and fully awake, worries flooding the atmosphere. I turn myself to face Nathan, he doesn’t notice. I don’t know whether to talk to him because I feel like I’ll interrupt him and his thoughts. I cough gently as he blinks hard and looks at me. He turns his body to face me.

“You can’t sleep either?” He asks as I nod a tear escaping my eye. He wipes the edge of my eye with his thumb.

3:00: After a heart to heart, reminding each other of memories and telling happy stories about Jay we decide to go to the living room and watch a movie. He grabs a collection of DVD’s and displays them to me.

“Which one?” He asks.

“Avatar… Jay’s favourite…” I say, he smiles, pity and empathy lying in his eyes.

“Hang on…” He whispers going into the kitchen, he comes back out with handfuls of packets of skittles and two bottles of beer (Guiness of course.) Yet again two other things Jay loves. As the movie begins I say ‘To Jay’ as our bottles clink. ‘To Jay’ Nathan echoes.

5:40: The movie finishes as I lay on the sofa in Nathan’s friendly, welcoming arms, picturing Jay in my mind as I slowly drift off to sleep.

6:00: Suddenly the gang crash through Nathan’s windows, waking me up. Nathan’s fast asleep as much as I panic and scream in his ear.

“Nathan! Nathan, wake up please!” I beg as the gang laugh as the gang leader lifts up his hand, holding a gun, with blood dripping onto Nathan’s living room carpet. Out of nowhere he shoots me right into my helpless heart. As everything goes white and Jay appears out of nowhere and grabs hold of my hand as he walk off into the distance.

6:01: I wake up crying  into Nathan’s chest as he hugs me tightly, rocking me back and forth. “Don’t worry it was just a nightmare.” He says shushing me, gently kissing my forehead.

“Jay’s alive isn’t he?” I manage to ask, sobbing.

“Yes he is, Lacey, what made you say that?” He asks gently, fiddling with my hair, I wipe the sweat from the panic of my head.

“My dream… The gang members killed me and I went into this… this white space where I saw Jay…” I cried, catching my breath and coughing.

“Don’t worry, he’s still breathing, Lacey, Jay’s strong.”

6:30: We decide to get ready as I put my leggings back on from yesterday and putting my brown locks curls into a loose ponytail. Don’t even care how much of a tramp I look. Nathan puts on some navy blue trakies on as we make our way back to the hospital.