Chapter 6 part one: Nightmare

It's been two weeks now since I've been staying at the Mage Academia of Magic and Martial Arts. Not as a student but as a guest of sorts. Serena and I practice magic until lunch in the mornings, I'm on my own for a while before Noah and I spar and train with swords in the afternoon. A peaceful routine that has me feeling very at ease and happy. To finally have friends, a feeling I never really knew until now. It's the reason why every night I can sleep with a smile on my face.

Until that night.

*

Serena stands in the darkness, a void with and obsidian floor that is polished to a reflective point. Her usual attire is on. Plain brown boots, white stockings that cover her slender legs up to her light green skirt and matches perfectly with her emerald eyes. Her white blouse holds a broach on it, and her blond hair falls over her shoulders gracefully.

She's so beautiful. Not at all right for me to say but at least I can think it.

She smiles, freezing my heart with the not so endearing sight. Her perfect smile, the one that radiates warmth and care enough to fill the warped gap in my soul, is tainted by the blood that flows down from her lips. Her blouse flowers red, the wound in her chest right over where her heart is, has a blade sticking out. Yet the light isn't fading from her eyes.

Just agony. Blood drips from the sword of the unknown assailant, all I can see of him is the pitch black aura that surrounds him. For some reason I can't move either. I want to, with every fiber in my being.

"Rokai..." she gasps. Blood hits the floor and sizzles, giving birth to blood red flames that consume her very being.

I sit up, screaming both from physical pain and mental anguish. Flames coat my entire bed and body, I hear screams to my left and see Serena being held back from reaching me. Water douses my flames, shot straight from the hands of the people dressed in full suits of armour.

My skin is burnt, nearly blackened and crispy. Immediately several people rush towards me and their glowing hands begin working healing magic across my system. My pain slowly fades, but I'm ordered not to close my eyes or sleep. After the medics are done with me my skin has it's normal appearance, not even a light tan as a result. I sit up, a moment later being tackled by the very girl I watched die a moment ago.

"Rokai!" Serena cries out, I pull her close. I feel her arms tremble as they wrap around my neck. Her sobs shake her entire body, I can only hold her tightly to me. I notice after some time that she's dressed in her bed wear, a silk white gown that almost shines in the as it reflects the silver light of the moon. Although now it's turning sooty from my scorched sheets. I breath in her scent, floral like a meadow of wildflowers blooming in spring. Her soft skin and the firmness of her embrace helping to heal my scared heart.

"Ahem, Rokai." The head master clears his throat. I look at him from over Serena's shoulder. He stands there with Noah by his side, who has a relieved look and one of concern. Their discussion seems to have gotten to a point where I need to be involved, most likely about my dream.

I let go of Serena hesitantly, and survey the damage caused by my nightmare. Large scorch marks run up the wall and surround my bed in a ten meter radius, a spiral pattern formed on the ground as if a tornado of flames had enveloped the area. Four beds were consumed and have pitch black frames. I see the people gathered haul away two sets of white sheet covered forms. I start trembling.

"I killed someone...didn't I?" I mutter. Serena tightens her hand's grip on mine, but I'm lost in despair.

"You couldn't control your power, not many people can when in a high emotive state. Especially with a volatile element like fire." The Head Master tells me, stroking his white beard in thought. "Can you tell me what you saw in your nightmare?"