"You did have a fight with your fiancée, didn't you." 

"Fai, I ... I am the one at fault, I screwed up real  bad." Kongpob chokes on tears and raises shaky hands to cover his face. He can't believe he's crying again.

His friend kneels in front of him and pries his hands away, wipes the tears and forces him to look at her.

"That can't be true. You are too nice and gentle of a person to hurt your lover. She must have misunderstood you."

Kongpob lets out a sigh and brings her into a hug. She is taken aback by the suddenness of it but quickly reciprocates.

"It's okay. You can cry all you want. I am here."

"Th-thank you, Fai. You've always been a good friend." he says in between hiccups.

Once he calms down a bit, Kongpob leans back in the chair and Fai returns to hers.

"We've been together for over four years. Our relationship had its ups and down so far, but we always managed to overcome anything. We are going to get married soon, hopefully ..."

"What kind of girl is she?" Fai asks.

Kongpob shakes his head. It is about time he made things clear.

"Remember P'Arthit, the guy who was with me yesterday, the one who introduced himself as my senior from university?"

"Yes ... Oh my God!!! Don't tell me she cheated on you with him!" 

"No! Nothing like that! He is my fiancé."

Fai's jaw goes slack and her mouth hangs open in a comical way. Once she snaps out of the initial shock, she takes a big sip of the tea in front of her, almost chokes on it.

"Wh-what? P'Arthit is your ... you're dating him?!"

"Yes. We got into a stupid argument yesterday and he stormed out of the house. I wasn't able to get a hold of him since." Kongpob explains.

"Wow ... you never struck me as a guy who likes other men." she murmurs, slumping in her chair.

"I don't like men, I only like P'Arthit, who simply happens to be a man." he corrects her. "Are you disappointed in me?"

"No, not at all. So, what are you going to do now? It must be pretty serious if he left and he is ignoring your calls."

"I ... know I made a mistake and I want to apologize. But ..."

"But what?"

"I've had it with his insecurities. And how he still cares so much about what others might think of us. That was the reason why he didn't let me introduce him to you guys as my boyfriend. It's been four years, I want him to get over it already." Kongpob says, resting his head in his hands.

Fai watches him silently. He looks so miserable that she wants to pull him into a comforting hug, but she decides against it.

"You should confront him about this."

"I have, many times, even yesterday. But he always avoids the discussion. It makes me wonder if he still loves me as much as I do ..."

"Regardless, you should talk to him again. And ... if it doesn't work out in the end ..." she trails off.

Kongpob raises his head to see her smiling shyly at him.

"I'll be here for you."

❈❈❈