Chapter 19: The Ex-Friend

Comenzar desde el principio

       I didn't want it to feel like a disappointment for me.

       When the musical number ended, Ms. Parth and Mrs. Goldsworth talked for a short period of time. I really hoped they found out what was missing so the orchestra wouldn't play again.

        "I think I know what is missing," Ms. Parth said after she and Mrs. Goldsworth finished talking. She looked at the orchestra. "Thank you so much for your help. That sounded absolutely beautiful, and if that's what you sound like without any practice, then I can't wait to hear you play at the festival where you play songs you have been practicing."

       She no longer needed the orchestra to play so they moved back into the audience seats.

       "Alright, I'm going to try something out and to do that, I'll only need to of you," Ms. Parth said. "Grant and Oliver, can you take your spots?"

       I had no idea why she only needed the two of us but Grant and I still got up from our seats as I went to the piano and he went to where his violin was.

       Ms. Parth handed Grant some sheet music that was different than the ones he normally used. "I want to move you to the first violins but I need to see if that will actually help make a difference."

       "Okay, so why are Ollie and I the only ones needed right now?" Grant asked.

       "Because he's going to play the melody for you to follow since you haven't played this section," Ms. Parth said. "That way, I'll be able to see if the change will work."

       "Won't it be better to see if it will work with everyone else?" Grant asked.

       "Wow, do you really hate playing the song with me only?" I asked as a joke and Grant's only reply was to stick his tongue out at me.

       "Yes but first, I think you need to play the song once before playing with the whole orchestra," Ms. Parth said. "And just think, all the attention will basically be on you."

       "Ooh, perfect, I love the attention," Grant said. "Alright, Ollie, take it away."

       For some reason, I was feeling a lot more nervous to play the song. I never was before, even at times were I was the only one playing to help the cast sing with the melody. But now, my heart was beating out of my chest and I kept thinking I would mess up in the end.

       Probably because of the conservatory being here.

       I took a deep breath before starting, trying my best to only focus on the piano and Grant playing the violin. I couldn't mess up. Not now.

       Thankfully, the nerves started fading the more I played the song and I didn't mess up at all.

       Once we finished, Ms. Parth smiled. "Now that... That was so beautiful, listening to the two of you. Honestly, I was expecting for a part or two to be off a bit since Grant had never played this section of the piece before but it sounded absolutely perfect."

       "I wonder why," Grant said before he winked at me.

       "Okay, now let's try it with the whole orchestra," Ms. Parth said. 

       She only had us do a bit of the song before stopping us and telling us that so far, it sounded good so now we were going to try it with the cast.

       And we weren't cut off at all.

       When we finished, both Ms. Parth and Mrs. Goldsworth were smiling. "It was perfect," Mrs. Goldsworth said.

       "I'm confused," Grant said. "All you did was move me so did it sound better because I was no longer butchering the piece?"

       "No, of course not," Ms. Parth said. "All of you are so talented but there's a certain spot for all of you. The melody was a bit weak before I moved you, Grant. You helped make it stronger."

       "So now you're saying everyone sucks and I'm the one carrying the first violins?" Grant asked.

       Ms. Parth didn't even reply. Not because Grant was right, but because she knew he liked saying things the boost his ego.

       Everyone knew this so nobody in the orchestra took offense. They all just chuckled at his ever-so high arrogant level.

       Mrs. Goldsworth wanted to start running the scenes after the first number so everyone in the orchestra were allowed to leave the auditorium for the time being. We just had to be back in about half an hour.

       Grant and I decided to go for a walk around the school. Or for a walk to the vending machines. We were both a bit hungry.

       Grant got something from the vending machine first and right as I got something after, I heard the voice I was dreading to hear say, "And there's Oliver, the only person to ever lose a scholarship to the conservatory before even starting the school year."

       I sighed and turned to see Fred with a boy and a girl standing on either side of him. "It's such a pleasure to see you," I said sarcastically.

       "Oh, so this is the guy you've told us about," the girl said. "I still can't believe someone was stupid enough to lose such a great opportunity."

       "And look what he's doing now," Fred said. "Playing for a high school orchestra."

       "You say that like it's a bad thing," I said. "You do realize that a few months ago, you were playing for a high school orchestra, right?"

       "And you're technically playing for a high school orchestra now," Grant said. "The whole orchestra is filled with high school students. You're getting high school credit for going to the conservatory."

       "That's different," Fred said.

       "Not really," Grant said. "Another word for conservatory is music school. School. As in high school. You're still playing for a high school orchestra."

       "A professional one," Fred said.

       "Still a high school orchestra."

       I wasn't surprised to see Fred and his new friends just walk off. Grant was a very difficult person to argue with and most people just gave up trying.

       "You're amazing, you know that, right?" I asked. 

       "For not decking him in the face?" Grant asked. "Because I was trying really hard not to."

       "No, for just making him walk away so easily," I said. "You've seen what happens when I snap at someone."

       "You threaten to kill someone? I'm still emotionally scarred from it."

       "Oh, stop being a baby. I didn't threaten to kill you. Anyway, I really don't want to do that now that things are finally going well in my life. I really don't want Fred messing it up for me. And that's going to be hard now that he's in Spruceworth for the weekend."

       Now I was going to have to avoid both my mom and Fred at the music festival. It was going to be torture.

_________________

grant has two sides. Side 1 -- Ollie: *breathes* Grant: wtfudge ollie just threaten to murder me how rude | Side 2 -- Ollie: *breathes* Grant: wtfudge marry me you're perfect

long story short, i love grant so much

AND MY FOOD DRAWER IS FULL AGAIN. I'M HAPPY :)