A Close Call

[Not Edited]

[Not Edited]

......
Lydia had been at jitters all day. It took her mind off everything that had happened in the past 24 hours.

Flashback

Lydia had been walking to the bar. She had plans to meet up with Iris, Eddie, Barry and a couple of his friends. Lydia was surprised he had other friends apart from Iris and herself. The bar was only a few blocks from her house. It should have been a 20 minute walk, but she looked up to see that she was on 8th and pass. How could she have not noticed she completely passed the bar, blocks back. She stood in front of a building, "why the hell am I here?" She was about to walk back towards the bar when she heard a crash, followed by a big boom. She ran to other side of the building, where the noise came from to see flames coming out one floor of the building. On the other side, she heard another crash, running to other side she saw a window washer fly back, as one of the wire holding up the platform was breaking. "Oh my god." Was the only thing Lydia could even say. 'Help! Help,' was all she heard the man scream from the top. Lydia couldn't help him, she would really see this man become apart of the sidewalk.

"Lydia?" She heard a familiar voice call out. She turned around to see a man dressed in a red suit, with a lightening emblem on the center. She couldn't make out his face, Lydia could only describe his face to be blurry. She was at a complete loss for words.

"How do you know my name?" The red suited man or as Iris called him the streak was now at a loss for words. "We..we have mutual friends." His voice was different now, it had become deeper and shakier. Like his voice was vibrating. Before Lydia could question him further, the voice of the window washer interrupted, 'Help! Help! Somebody!'

"Guys, there's a window washer, and he's gonna fall" The streak had touched his ear, Lydia had assumed she he was talked to someone, like an intercom of some sort.

"Well, is there, like, a bed store near here? What if I get a bunch of mattresses and stack them?"

Lydia scoffed, "This isn't a roadrunner cartoon."

Unknown to Lydia, the two voices asked the streak whose voice they heard. "No one. How fast would I need to go to run up the side of a building? How far

"I don't know. 50 meters, give or take. —Guys, hurry!" It was confusing for the strawberry blonde to only hear one side of a conversation. But she able to piece that he was asking how fast he would have to be to go up the side of a building.

Lydia took a step towards him and spoke out, "Look, red guy, streak..whatever your name is, just run as fast as you can up the side. Just make sure you go the same speed down."

"Why?" It was quite simple actually. Everything that goes up, must come down, but when that thing is a human like person is coming down a 50 meter building, coming down at a slower speed might not end well.

"Splat."

"All right, all right, all right. Here goes." The masked figure tried calming himself, before he ran up he building. Lydia's swore she blinked, and he was gone, her hair was blowing away from her face from the sheer force of his speed. She turned to the building seeing, a red streak going up the side, before coming back down.

The streak had set down the window washer, he turned to look at the strawberry blonde he had left, only to see another figure behind her. Lydia took notice of it and turned around to see Iris. She was going to turn around back to masked figure, but he sped off before she could. Leaving the two girls behinds.

"Lydia? What are you doing here? Did you see him? Did you talk him? What's he like?" Iris was so happy, that someone else had seen the streak. That it wasn't just her now. Lydia however was less ecstatic. She was now 99.9% sure Barry was the streak. When he said her name the first time, she knew it was Barry's. She could pick out his voice out of a dozen people. She wanted to tell Iris, but there was a .1% chance he wasn't, that she didn't hear right. And even if she told her, what then? And what was she supposed to say to Barry the next time she saw him? Ask him about his superhuman speed, about him saving people or the fact that he was lying to Iris? What was she supposed to do with this information?

End of Flashback

"Lydia..Lydia?! Hey are you there?" The voice had completely taken her out of whatever daze she was in. She shook her head and turned to the figure.

"Hey." She said, still a little bit disoriented. Barry had entered Jitters, while she was remembering the night before.

"I've been calling for name for a minute straight. Are you okay?" He asked looking at the strawberry blonde in concern.

"Yeah—yeah I'm fine, what are you doing here?"

"Well, I thought I'd stop by and say hi to my second favorite barista."

Lydia was trying to act as normal as possible, to make sure Barry didn't suspect anything, but he had nothing to suspect. To Barry's knowledge, the incident last night was a close call but nothing more. "Haven't seen you since the game night. Feeling better?

Barry looked at her confused. She continued on, "Felicity said that you had umm...issues." She trailed off toward the end, as she didn't want to embarrass him.

"Huh—Oh, yeah no, feeling better...did she mention what type of issues?"

Lydia has been hoping he didn't ask that. She rather talk about last night than this, "It was the bowel movement kind"

"Oh—uh..." If Lydia weren't so mad at him right now, she would have thought he stuttering was adorably awkward.

"Is there a reason you're here?"

"Umm, yeah actually. You have to help get Iris to stop writing about the streak. It's only gonna bring the crazies to her door, not to mention her dad told me she's visiting crime scenes now."

"What makes you think that I can convince her, if you or her dad can't?"

"Lydia, please! You have to tr-" Lydia was not only, stressed about the whole streak situation, but she didn't want this on top of her plate. Besides, Iris had told her what Barry had said about her blog and how she had to stop writing it. Streak or not, he was being an ass.

"I'm gonna stop you right there Allen. I shouldn't even be talking to you after what Iris told me, but I'm gonna say this. I don't care if you believe in the streak or not, even though you and I both know that isn't true, but Iris was so excited about this blog. For the first time she feels likes she reporting on something that matters, and you completely belittled her about it."

"She's going to get hurt, Lydia. I'm just looking out for what best for her." She wanted to yell at him. That maybe if he didn't lie to his best friend about his after work activities, he wouldn't have to make excuses. That keeping her in loop might actually be better because she can then prepare herself for whatever comes her way. But it wasn't the time to confront him about it just yet.

"You don't get to decide that Barry, she is more than capable of handling herself. You as her best friend just need to support her because right now, she feels like everyone is against her."

Barry could tell there was no convincing her. He turned to leave, "Tell, Iris I stopped by."

"Yeah, sure whatever" she said as she watched him walk out.
-

Sorry for the short chapter. School has been consuming all of my time and I've had ungodly amounts of homework. But hopefully I can update sometime this week and again next weekend (it's still Sunday for me). Leave comments and opinions about the chapter. And do you think Lydia should confront Barry or should I play it out a little bit longer?