He stumbled forwards and tripped over his own feet. He collapsed on the ground, kicking up dirt as he fell. His breaths were forced, sweat beading his forehead. "I need to find my sister," he panted, digging his nails into the sand.

Before Dusk could stand again, he felt someone stomp on him. He shrieked in pain as the person dug their heel into his back.

"I see you've returned, Madison," he heard Charles say, his tone suddenly blank. "I must admit, I didn't expect you to come before sunrise. Well, at least you caught the brat."

"I was searching for you when I saw this," a feminine voice replied. "Care to explain why you burned down an innocent house, huh? Why did you do it?" There was almost a demanding tone in her voice as the pressure above Dusk increased the slightest. It was enough to make him cry out again.

"I'll explain but first, calm down," he heard Charles say. "The King won't be pleased to see his future heir be treated in this manner."

"He's the heir? The future prince of Eldatrion?" the lady, Madison, said, her tone incredulous. "But... why him? Just because the King doesn't have children of his own, he decides to choose this measly child? I'm starting to question his judgment. There are far more capable children in the other kingdoms than him, especially Eldatrion. Marion would have been a far more capable choice than this boy."

"We are nobody to question his judgement, Madison," Charles replied, his tone sterner. "Marion's blood isn't what he's looking for but this boy's. She isn't the right heir but this child is. He needs him for something important. There's a reason behind this, something we aren't aware of. He isn't called the Dark Lord for nothing." There was a moment of uncomfortable silence before Charles cleared his throat. "Now, release the boy and hand him over to me. We can't have him escaping like this before we reach Eldatrion."

Madison groaned in frustration as the pressure above him disappeared. He was roughly hauled to his feet, Charles' jeering face leaning over him. "Do that once more boy and I will make sure that Madison deals with you. Trust me, it won't be pleasant."

"It's been a rather long time since I've used my powers," Madison said quietly, shrugging. "It'll be nice to have a practice target, someone on whom I can try out my powers before using it for real."

Dusk gulped and turned towards the lady. A young woman stood in front of him, her auburn hair curled stylishly upon her head. She was dressed in dark blue trousers, a loose-fitting chemise covering her upper body. He noticed multiple sheathed daggers adorning the belt on her waist, odd weapons for a lady to carry. Her intense gaze was focused on the blazing house in the distance, lips parted. And if he saw carefully, it almost seemed like her hands were shaking at her side.

"Quit staring at me, you little brat," Madison suddenly snapped, turning to scowl at him.

Dusk averted his gaze and turned towards his burnt house. The fire had done all the damage it could have done, the walls blackened. He was too far away to glance into the house but he knew the truth; his mother and sister were dead. What would his father's reaction be when he came back home?

He fought against Charles' iron-like grip, trying to break free again. Before he knew it, his head snapped to the side, stinging pain against his left cheek. "I warned you, Dusk," Charles growled. "Madison, grab a stick now and use your powers. We have to knock this meddlesome child unconscious before things get out of control."

Madison nodded, a little hesitantly, and crouched down, grabbing a long stick from the ground. Do they really expect me to faint with a stick? Dusk thought to himself.