25 || habit

Adrien rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. He needed to brush his teeth. His cat purred above him and functioned almost like an alarm clock. The only reason he woke up was when Plagg's purring got too loud. He reached above him and pet the black cat's back, feeling his soft coat between his fingers.

"What should I do today?" Adrien asked as he rolled over onto his stomach to look at Plagg. The lazy cat lifted its head from the pillow he was currently perched on. Green eyes blinked lazily at Adrien before Plagg decided he'd much rather be asleep. The cat laid back down and closed his eyes but Adrien did not. He got up and felt like an actual functioning person for the first time in months.

The trip to the kitchen was short and he quickly began making himself a cup of coffee. Nathalie walked in and seemed startled that he was up so early. Lately, he had developed the habit of sleeping in so he understood why she had the reaction. She quickly got over it and nodded a quick 'good morning' to him.

"Where's your little cat friend?" She asked and set her tablet on the counter so she could rummage through the refrigerator for an apple.

"Still sleeping I think," Adrien mused. He leaned up against the counter and stirred his coffee slowly. "His name is Plagg, you know?" He knew Nathalie never remembered his cat's name.

"Why did you name him something as weird as that–" she took a bite of her apple, "It's definitely an odd name."

"It's because he follows me like the Plague." There was a beat of silence and they both started laughing. "I couldn't name him that so Plagg became the best choice." He grinned at her and she smiled back.

"It's nice to see your real smile again Adrien," she said softly. Adrien stared down at his coffee suddenly finding it impossible to meet her eyes. "I know things have been difficult lately," Nathalie paused for a moment before continuing. "I could book an appointment for you to speak with someone?" Her words were lost on him. Adrien could barely hear her over the heartbeat in his ears.

He was feeling guilty. Oh so terribly guilty.

He was laughing and smiling and he liked it. In fact, he missed it.