2

Life is not what it's supposed to be. It is what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
- Virginia Satir.

Winter

I don't know why I ever let Kennedy talk me into this. I should have just told her no, and let her go back to London alone. But no, she had to pull the puppy eyes and get her way like always. I don't know how anyone could possibly say no to her when she's like that.

"We're here, ma'am." The driver said, looking at me from the rearview mirror. I smiled and thanked him, getting out of the car along with Kennedy. I sighed as I looked up at the house that I'd once lived in. Everything looks just as it did 5 years ago, as if I'd never left. The door opened and my uncle and his wife walked out, my uncle running towards me with a huge grin on his face.

"Winter!" He cheered, hugging me tightly. "I'm so glad you're here!" I giggled and hugged him back, inhaling his familiar sent. I'd missed him so much. I pulled away and looked at Isobel, his wife. She smiled warmly and hugged me as well.

"You've gotten so much bigger." She gushed, pulling away as her eyes took me in. "You're just as beautiful as I remember, dear." She grinned, taking my hand in hers. Isobel is probably the nicest person to walk the planet. Her warmth could make anyone feel at home just by being around her. Kennedy cleared her throat and we all looked at her expectantly.

"What I don't get no welcome home?" She huffed, crossing her arms. I laughed and put my arm around her shoulders, walking with her towards the house.

"You were gone for 2 days, darling. Not 5 years." Uncle Matt rolled his eyes. We all walked inside and I walked to my old bedroom. On the way I passed my fathers old room, across the hall from mine. I slowly opened the door, the smell of my dad rushed out. I smiled sadly as I looked around the room. Everything was left the way that it was before I left. Nothing had been touched or moved out of place. I sighed and closed the door, walking across the hall.

I walked into my old room and a sense of loneliness and discomfort hit me. I sighed as I trailed my hand along the soft bed, looking around the familiar room.

I set my bags on the ground and sat on the bed, this bed was a lot more comfortable than my old one at home in LA

I set my bags on the ground and sat on the bed, this bed was a lot more comfortable than my old one at home in LA. I grabbed the picture frame from the bed side table, It was a photo of my dad and I. I was sitting on his lap and we were both grinning widely at the camera. There was a knock on the door and Kennedy entered, looking at me with a sad smile.

"Are you okay?" She asked, coming to sit next to me. I nodded and put the picture back down, turning to face her.

"So tell me about this plan." I said, tucking my hair behind my ear. She grinned, sitting crisscross-apple-sauce on the bed infront of me.

"Okay, so Seb is your typical bad boy. Gets in trouble at school, doesn't give a shit about life, plays girls, blah blah. It's about time he gets a wake up call, and that wake up calls going to be you." I had no idea why my cousin thought I could even do this. If she couldn't make him fall for her, how did she expect me to? She's way prettier and funner than I am.