Chapter 36

Alessandro
One week later.

I sat behind my desk and tapped my pen impatiently against the wood. There was a wide grin on my face that I couldn't seem to wipe off. This was the day... the day that I was going to ask Eva to marry me.

I'd been nervous about the whole ordeal for the past week and I had no idea why. Did I doubt myself? Completely. I drove myself crazy thinking about asking her to spend her whole life with a man like me.

All I wanted was to make her the happiest girl alive. But could I? Am I the right kind of man for a sweet angel like her?

All the questions were circling around my head, but then abruptly interrupted when the door swung open. Leon stood there with his face bright and excited.

"She's ready." He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

My heart dropped into the pit of my stomach and I exhaled a heavy breath.

"How are you going to ask her?" He questioned, closing the door and walking over to the desk.

"I don't know," I sighed with my hands becoming clammy. Leon leaned on my desk and raised an eyebrow at me. "I'm going to take her down to the beach and ask her there."

He smirked to himself and I glared at him.

"Fuck off."

He erupted in laughter and playfully slapped my arm. "You're a softie."

The thought of my hands wrapped around his jugular flashed before my eyes but I resisted the urge. My jaw ticked and I narrowed my eyes instead. "Don't you have somewhere to be?"

He thought for a moment and then shook his head with a wide beam.

"Well I do." I retorted, lifting myself from the leather chair and straightening my lapel.

His obnoxious voice chirped from behind me as I made my way out of the office.

"Good luck softie!"

I gave him a cold glare over my shoulder, which he chuckled at, before I was out of his sight.

My breathing was erratic and nervous as I came closer to my bedroom. Why was my heart beating so rapidly? I needed to get myself together.

As I walked into the bedroom, I noticed Eva sitting on the edge of the bed. Her chocolate-brown hair was curly and cascading past her shoulders, and she was wearing a short white dress that complimented her figure.

White.

Ironic — for sure.

Her eyes shot upwards when she caught my figure standing in the frame of the door. A smile brightened up her face and she stood up. I couldn't help but grin to myself and open my arms wide.

Eva wrapped her arms around my torso and held her face against my chest. I brought her into my warm embrace and inhaled her sweet perfume.

"Ready to go?" I whispered softly, my face burying itself in her hair.

Eva let me go and nodded her head, looking up into my eyes. I took her hand and locked our fingers — leading her out of the bedroom and down the hallway. "You look beautiful, sweetheart," I told her with an appreciative voice.

Her cheeks turned a subtle shade pink and she giggled. "You always make my heart beat just a little bit faster, you know."

I smiled over at her. Her beautiful face blossomed before my eyes and her voice came out delicate and gentle. "So what have you got planned for today, then?"