Chapter 1

Eva

I walked through the long hallways of the manor. The maids that I would usually see passed me by and gave me their wide smiles, briefly welcoming me into their presence. I had worked for Antonio Rosso for just under a year now; it was okay but it wasn't exactly the kind of job that was warm and cosy.

Antonio was a cruel man — not just to me, but to everybody around him. He didn't have any kindness nor any compassion in his blood. I had always imagined working for somebody that was kind but I guess when you settle for the Mafia, that circumstance is very unlikely.

I worked as a part-time nanny in his Estate. I would care for his nieces and nephews whenever they'd visit and the rest of the time, I would work as a maid, cooking and cleaning for him. It wasn't something that I particularly enjoyed — especially considering the way he treated me — but I didn't have much of a choice.

"Eva. Where have you been?" Ethel exclaimed as I walked into the kitchen. She was the top-maid. "I've been searching for you everywhere. Antonio is supposed to be returning in half an hour and we haven't even cleaned the kitchen yet."

"I'm sorry, Ethel. I was dropping off the weekly laundry. I didn't realise the time, I guess." I replied with apologetic eyes at her, starting to grab the cleaning protects on the top of the kitchen-counter.

"Just hurry up!" She rushed, grabbing the cleaning products that were left and starting to spray on the marble.

"Where are the others?" I asked her, looking over my shoulder as I scrubbed the oven.

"Cara and Hannah are getting the bedrooms ready. Jane is cleaning up the living-area and Layla is working outside."

I nodded and continued with my work. By the time we had finished, my whole body felt tired and I felt as though I had no energy left. And just in time, the door swung open and there stood the one and only: Antonio Rosso.

He walked into the kitchen with tense eyebrows. It was clear that he was angry.

"Are you alright, Sir?" Ethel asked in her sweet, melodic voice.

He ran his fingers through the black-thorns of his hair and his men began to pile up behind him, making their way into the kitchen with similar expressions. They were like a pack of wolves that you always feared would attack at any given moment.

"They've taken another one." Antonio growled. His jaw began to tick which was an indicator of his immense rage. It was a habit that always made the fear inside of me grow. "It was yesterday. I found another one of my workers dead. He'd clearly been tortured by the marks on his body."

Ethel looked concerned but I just stood there, not a single emotion plastered in my being except the streaks of fear that were present in my brown eyes. Antonio often went on about his business and what was going on in his life but I rarely listened. I didn't want to get involved in any of his work — it was evil and always had bad intentions.

Perhaps that's why Antonio had a dislike towards me. It had always been there — ever since I first started my job — he'd always hated my guts. The glares and snarls that I would receive daily made me feel awful and sometimes I even feared for my life. Whether he'd come and just murder me in the night.

"I swear if that f*cker has spilled anything-" He gritted his teeth, his breathing heavy with anger.

Ethel and I both kept silent and let his men calm him down. We never interfered when he'd get angry; he was unpredictable and the chances of him lashing out were high.

"It's alright, Boss." One of his men said to him. "Your plan will sort them out for sure."

Antonio smirked to himself. The kind of smirk that went right through me. "Yes. He'll pay. I just hope he hasn't received any information about us."