Chapter 15: Thinking of the Past is Easily Sorrowful

When the first Spring wind blew over the great Middle Plains, Gao Xing’s Eldest Princess wrote a letter to the Yellow Emperor asking to visit Xuan Yuan Mountain on her mother’s death anniversary to pray at her grave as a filial daughter. She also hoped to do her filial duty on behalf of her mother to the Yellow Emperor.

The letter was handwritten by the Eldest Princess and had her seal on it, delivered to the Yellow Emperor by an envoy sent by the Grand Emperor.

The Yellow Emperor read the letter and then let his court read it. There was no logical reason for anyone to object to a daughter wanting to pray to her mother’s grave and wanting to see her grandfather. So the entire court only discussed how to receive the Gao Xing Princess, who wasn’t just the Gao Xing Princess but also the Yellow Emperor’s granddaughter. Her mother died in battle for Xuan Yuan as well. So after much discussion, it was agreed her reception would be as lavish as possible.

When the peach blossoms bloomed throughout the Middle Plains, Xiao Yao left Five Gods Mountain and Zhuan Xu accompanied her as her cousin and at her request. She arrived at Xuan Yuan Castle and her two uncles Xuan Yuan Cang Lin and Xuan Yuan Yu Yang met the convey with her five younger male cousins in tow.

After chatting for a bit, Cang Lin said to Xiao Yao “Normally we would have a welcoming banquet at Shan Heng Palace, but father is very old now and doesn’t move around as well, plus he doesn’t like seeing people and making the usual annoying pleasantries, so your seventh uncle will hold a banquet for the entire convoy and your grandfather will see only you at Cao Yun Peak.”

Xiao Yao smiled “Okay, will Uncle take me to see Grandfather then.”

Cang Lin said “After you, Princess!”

The servants appeared to be keeping Zhuan Xu aside as if no one expected him to go to Xuan Yuan Mountain. Xiao Yao stood in front of the cloud carriage and asked “Is Zhuan Xu gege not coming as well?”

Cang Lin smiled warmly “Father didn’t say he would see Zhuan Xu so we’ve made arrangements for him so don’t worry.”

Another cousin whose name Xiao Yao hadn’t yet remembered also smiled “Older sister don’t worry, we’ll hang out with big brother.”

Xiao Yao smiled and walked towards Zhuan Xu. Xuan Yuan guards appeared to want to stop her but she stared at them to see if they dared. The Gao Xing guards had their hands on their weapons already and everybody paused. Xiao Yao walked right up to Zhuan Xu and grabbed his hand and said with a pout to Cang Lin “When I used to live in Cao Yun Peak, it was always Zhuan Xu gege with me. If he doesn’t come this time, I’m not going!”

Cang Lin laughed “It’s not that Uncle doesn’t want to, but if father doesn’t summon him, then we don’t dare decide on our own.”

“If Grandfather gets mad, Uncle needn’t worry as I’ll accept the consequences!” Xiao Yao tried to pull Zhuan Xu into the cloud carriage but two Xuan Yuan guards blocked her so she looked at Cang Lin “Zhuan Xu gege really can’t go?”

Cang Lin said “Princess, please forgive!”

Xiao Yao’s face fell and she said loudly to her Gao Xing guards “Since Xuan Yuan doesn’t welcome me, back to Gao Xing immediately!” Xiao Yao pulled Zhuan Xu and walked off.

The Gao Xing guards immediately formed a line like they were returning to Gao Xing. Cang Lin could tell Xiao Yao wasn’t faking it so hurriedly said “Princess, please behave!”

Xiao Yao was furious and yelled “Me behave? Would anyone come thousands of miles to not behave? I’m the Gao Xing Eldest Princess, what can’t I get in Gao Xing. My mother died for the people of Xuan Yuan. I traveled far to pray at her grave and to see my Grandfather. All I want is my beloved cousin to come with me. The Xuan Yuan guards have kept me from getting into the cloud carriage. I want the people of the entire world to decide if I’m the one misbehaving, or is Xuan Yuan unreasonable?”