Chapter 5: Wish to Entrust Myself to the Mountains and Streams

Lao Mu went to buy groceries, Chuan Zi went to deliver medicine, and Xan Tian Er was in the room learning to sew clothes for Chuan Zi. Without any patients, Xiao Liu sprawled on the pallet sleeping. When he woke up there still wasn’t any patients so he rapped himself on the head. Can’t just mold away like this, best find something to do.

Xiao Liu decided to go to Xuan’s wine shop to drink. He put his hands behind him and hummed a little ditty, hopping along until Xuan saw him and warmly called out “Brother Liu, what do you want to drink?”

Xiao Liu found a corner spot and sat down and replied warmly “Whatever Brother Xuan decides.”

Xuan brought him a jug of wine and a plate of cashews. Xiao Liu looked around, peeled the cashews, and drank his wine. He then saw sitting in the opposite corner a man wearing immaculate richly decorated clothes and a straw hat that shielded his face. Even though his face was hidden and he wasn’t wearing any expensive jewelry, but his elegant demeanor immediately made one feel respectful towards him. Xiao Liu was racking his brain thinking of when such a lofty personage came to Qing Shui Town when a beautiful maid hurried in and bowed to the man before standing behind him. It was Jing Ye dressed like a man.

Xiao Liu understood and immediately lowered his head to focus on peeling the cashews. On that table there was also a plate of cashews, initially it was untouched but now that man was also peeling it. But he didn’t eat it and instead neatly placed it back on the plate.

Shi Qi said something in a low voice and Jing Ye bowed and retreated. He walked over and sat next to Xiao Liu and placed the plate of peeled cashews before him.

Hai Tang came out to greet customers, sitting behind the counter and counting the money, occasionally glancing towards Shi Qi and Xiao Liu. Because of Hai Tang, the business in the shop got busier as more men came to buy wine. Those with money sat inside, those without held their bowls and sat outside, all of them ogling Hai Tang.

After some bowls of wine were in the gullet, tongues began to loosen. Whatever interesting happened in Qing Shui Town could be heard in the conversation here. Xiao Liu was impressed with Xuan, opening this shop was a great idea!

“That’s nothing interesting. There is something even more major that happened in town!”

“What? Do tell!”

“Let me test you guys first. Other than Xuan Yuan, Gao Xing, and Sheng Nong, within the great wilderness what are the other powerful and famous clans?”

“Who doesn’t know that? Below the Three Imperial Families, on the top of the pecking order are the Four Great Clans – the Chi Shui family, the Xi Ling family, the Tu Shan family, and the Gui Fang family. Other than the Four Great Clans, in the Middles Plans are the Six Big Families. And below the Six Big Families are various moderately powerful smaller clans such as the Jin Tian family to the South, the Fang Feng family to the North….. But none of them can compare to the Four Great Clans.”

“The Tu Shan clan is based in the city of Qing Qiu. From the dawn of time until now, every generation is in trade. Their businesses blanket every part of the great wilderness. They have so much money it’s not even considered money. I hear even the imperial family of the Xuan Yuan and Sheng Nong kingdoms have borrowed money from the clan. It’s genuinely wealth that can rival a kingdom. What I’m going to say involves the Tu Shan clan.”

“So what of it? Hurry up and tell us!”

“I have reliable intel that says the Tu Shan clan’s Second Young Master is in Qing Shui Town!”

“What? That can’t be true.”

“Speaking of the Tu Shan clan’s Second Young Master, he’s definitely an impressive figure. This generation has only two sons, a pair of fraternal male twins born from the same mother and father. But I heard the Second Lord is very capable and since he was small he’s been lording over the Eldest Lord. He makes all the decisions in the family.”