XXIII: Hunter - The Domestic Terrorists

Hunter couldn't help shake the feeling that he had just been raped. He felt violated when two police officers aggressively searched him for something he did not have. They were searching for some evidence to arrest Hunter, whether that be a weapon, drugs, or stolen merchandise. Hunter had the "looks" of being a troublemaker. He could picture the police officers with a checklist of the "typical characteristics of a criminal" in Chicago:

Black ✓

Teenager ✓

Big Backpack (Note: Usually containing stolen goods) ✓

Well Built/Strong Frame (Note: Usually meaning he's carrying a weapon of some kind) ✓

Tattoo(s) ✓

Hoodie and Jeans ✓

Yes, Hunter did get a tattoo just recently on his right arm: it was of his mother's name: "Lisbeth," along with the date of the Baby Bomb Plot, "May 15th, 2024."

But of course the police officers weren't noting the content of the tattoo, just that he had one. Thus, Hunter met the stereotypical criminal description, and they stopped him. They pulled out their guns immediately and told him to go up against the wall of an apartment building whose first floor contained a small grocery store.

Hunter initially protested. "Why am I being stopped officer?"

The white officer noted. "Because you look suspicious, that's why."

Hunter continued. "How do I look suspicious?"

The black officer chimed in. "Hey kid, just shut up and stay up against that wall. Arms and feet spread apart."

Hunter was up against the wall, but refused to spread his arms and legs and the black officer took out his baton and smacked the inner parts of his legs and his shoulders. "You fucking deaf? I said to spread those fucking legs and arms."

Hunter had never thought that being slapped with a baton would actually hurt. He always imagined the thing was just for show. But being hit with that thing was like being hit with a bat. Hunter could feel his inner leg starting to bruise up after the smack, and his shoulder ached as if it were midterms week and he was carrying a ton of books home to study.

So yes, Hunter was scared. Here were two people that were supposed to be protecting him, but in reality they were assaulting him because he "looked suspicious." It was one thing to do a security check, it was another thing to stop and frisk someone. The former was done quickly and with little intimidation or violence. The latter was done aggressively, and with an intent to violate the victim.

And yes, Hunter cried a little bit. That didn't make the police officers stop; in fact, they relished the sight of tears. "Oh look Jones, he's crying."

"A bitch I see huh. Not so tough now are ya kid."

Hunter sniffled. "Why are you doing this to me?"

"Cause you're a fucking mutt."

Hunter couldn't help yelling. "How am I a mutt? If I'm a mutt, then what does that make you?"

Suddenly, Hunter found his right arm being twisted behind his back by the black officer, Jones, who scolded him. "You heard that Sean? This little nigger is talking shit. And look at what we have here, a 'Lisbeth May 15, 2024.' Is that your baby mama? Got her pregnant yet?"

Sean added. "See kid, we can disrespect you too. Don't like it now huh kid?"

Hunter was furious, he was so angry he couldn't hold back his tears. "You were already disrespecting me!"