Editor's Note

This manuscript, written by Salvador Cruz, a college student in the field of history, is one of the earliest works that makes an argument not only for the existence of a post-9/11 era—where everyday activities changed as security took precedent over personal freedoms—but also draws a direct correlation between fear of terrorism and the loss of civil liberties. Although incomplete, the work provides valid insight into the lives of six characters, five of which evidence has been discovered in order to prove their existence (we still lack solid evidence to prove the existence of Joe Franco). However, new information has come to light over the past century ever since La Carnicería. There exist many reasons for the name, but the most popular one was that the attack was so brutal, that they couldn't even denote the name in English. 

However, stronger evidence points towards this manuscript for the name's origin. None of the archival news articles had mentioned this name until about 20 years ago when this manuscript was discovered on a university-issued laptop that had been sitting in storage for over three quarters of a century. After backing up all of the data of the ancient technology, this manuscript was found and shared with the academic community.

Since this paper was only a draft in its earlier stages, many argumentative points that should be present in a more complete thesis paper are left out. However, the validity of much of the information presented in this paper holds firm to historical data. In some instances, not enough information is provided, grammatical mistakes occur, or references are made that may be lost to the modern reader. In these situations, you will find footnotes to clarify information, fill in some of the blanks, or point you in the right direction for acquiring more information on a certain topic. Freedom Over Safety (FOS), an independent newspaper tailored towards analyzing how past and present world-wide events and governmental actions have hampered individual freedoms, is a valuable source of outside information for many of the topics and events discussed in this paper.

Written for a mass audience, Salvador Cruz's work—given the title Paranoia because of his constant references to the disorder—will not only be an easy read, but will also simultaneously challenge the reader's inference ability, and allow the reader to experience what it was like to live in a society where constant fear of the next "terrorist attack" trumped a person's constitutional rights.