Dark - Bucky Barnes

AN: Hey guys! I know it's been awhile since I last posted anything but I'm trying to get back in the rhythm and write more! I am gonna start out slow and will not upload as regularly as I attempt to find out what works best for me. BUT I've written a small little thing that I hope you will like. Enjoy! x

Summary: The mission doesn't go as expected...

                                                                                            ***

Bullets flew around the corridor as the HYDRA agent fired rounds after you. Shots, you expertly dodged, reaching her quicker than she expected and kicked the gun out of her unprepared hands.

Before she could even retaliate, you twisted your body to deliver a sharp kick to her torso, landing her on the ground, and with a quick hit to her head, she was out cold.

You stood up quickly, pressing yourself up against the wall like a shadow, keeping an eye out for any incoming enemies before slipping into a room unnoticed.

You were quick. USB drive in and out, now full of confidential information, before slipping out again.

"Information retained," you said into your com.

"Received. Make your way back to the jet, Y/N," Steve instructed.

This was a simple mission and hadn't required the whole team, or so you thought. They had stocked up on the security and it was harder than previously thought to break in unnoticed, but not impossible. You met several agents, but they were quickly eliminated before any harm could be done.

You just hadn't noticed that the agent from before wasn't out cold but rather pretending to be, so when you heard the gunshot you knew you were fucked.

Adrenaline coursed body and she was met by a bullet in the head before she could defend herself and you could feel the blinding pain.

"Should have done that from the beginning," you muttered, looking down to asses the damage she had done to you.

Your fingers lightly ran down your side, finding the bullet hole easily. "This is not good."

You needed to get out of here fast before you could meet other agents or simply pass out from the shock, which seemed to get more likely the longer you stood still.

You willed yourself to move, even if a single step brought a searing pain down your spine but it paid off as you within no time could see the jet.

You stumbled onto the jet, finally allowing yourself to succumb to the pain.

"Y/N?" Steve said, worry filling his face as he saw the blood seep out from in between your fingers that were tightly pressed to your side. This caught the rest of the group's attention and you felt them all stare in concern.

"I'm fine, guys," you stumbled further into the room, feet failing you just as you reached Bucky. He was quick to catch you though, and you never felt the cold floor hit your back.

Bucky reacted on instinct shouting for Clint to get the jet moving and for Bruce to get the stretcher out. His heart was pounding ice-cold blood out to his veins, his arms nearly giving out as the reality set in. You had been shot.

"Shit! Fuck!" he cursed loudly, the rest of the team straying to the sides, as he helped you onto the stretcher, hands replacing yours and pressing tightly against the wound. His head was spinning.

"Bucky," Bruce said gently but firmly beside him. Bucky knew he had to move so Bruce could help you but it was almost as if his body couldn't. He was stuck staring at your unconscious body, eyes closed shut as more blood poured out. Had it not been for Steve's hand guiding him away, he would have been frozen to the spot.

It took all his will and the rest of his remaining clarity to actually stay away and let Bruce help you when everything in him was screaming for you. How could this have happened? This morning you were smiling and laughing with him and now you were laying almost lifeless on a stretcher. He hadn't even gotten the chance to tell of much you meant to him. How you changed his world and the way he viewed it. The way he viewed himself. You were the sun shining on him, showing him the light when things got dark. How was he supposed to live without you?

He felt helpless, biting back tears as he watched your face pale in colour. Blood pouring onto the stainless steel, the same blood he was covered in. His eyes slowly lost all emotion until he was nothing but a shell.

Things were dark now.