Chatty Dad

-RAVEN-

I was genuinely happy to see my dad, but I just wish that his being here didn't make things awkward for not only the Highfields (as they are all wonderful people) but my mate as well.

"Well before you gentlemen got here Your Aunt Nat invited us over for dinner." Alexia said as she hugged my brothers waist.

He looked down at her and smiled.

I was a little jealous of their open affection.

"Well Dad someone's already taken your things up to a room, Aunt Nat usually asks us to come dressed up...-"

"Actually she suggested a more low-key family dinner since she knows you all are probably tired from traveling." I put in.

"Perfect." Royce smiled. "Well Lexi and I are going to take off to our place to freshen up, I don't know where Ry went otherwise he could bring you both...I'll just have a driver pick you both up and bring you both home."

"Oh I'm staying at Nat's and Charles' place...they asked me to spend the night before I knew you were all coming back today." I said, I actually felt a little bad knowing Dad was here to see both Royce and I and we were both going to bail on him this evening.

"Hey, we've got all day to hangout sweetheart, plus i'll be here for a few days before I take off back home, don't go breaking your plans for me." Dad said kindly.

I hugged him as a form of thanks and he kissed the top of my hair.

We told Royce and Lexi bye before we left as well to explore the area.

"You know I'm actually glad we could have this time to ourselves." Dad said as we walked through a nearby park. "You doing alright, adjusting nicely?"

I nodded and we sat down on a bench. "Yeah things are good, I've been helping Lex with the wedding stuff and some of the presentation ceremony, School's a little more challenging than back home but I'm keeping up...and then there's Ryland."

"There is indeed Ryland..."He sounded a little strained but composed himself before looking at me. "Forgive me, while I am quite happy you've found your Mate...it's still just a little difficult as your father to imagine you as anything other than my little girl, much less a man's mate."

"But that's just it Dad," I said with as much care as I could. "I have grown up...and while I'll always be your daughter. I'm not a little girl anymore, and I wish Royce could also understand that."

He sat back and sighed, "We know you are a young lady and a smart one at that...but we can't help but worry."

"You're both worried about me being with my mate...the one person specifically designed to essentially protect me and never hurt me." I said as I shook my head.

He looked over at me with pure sadness now. "Oh sweetheart, I know firsthand how much a mate can hurt you."

"Dad...I know with everything in me that Ryland would never intinally hurt me, hurt himself maybe because he's so damn reckless and now that he's Beta he's going to be in charge of Royce's guard...his position will be announced at the presentation."

"Yeah the Blood Dawn Pack's War Dogs are notoriously ruthless." He said and then sighed. "I know him, I've watched him grow up and I can vouch that he is a good guy with good intentions but his reputation with females does seem to leave a bitter taste in my mouth knowing your his now."

At this I laughed (if only to mask my jealousy at him mentioning Ryland with other girls) "I will never belong to anyone."

He smiled, "I'm glad to hear it...and you'll be glad to hear that i've talked to your brother, well guilted him really...I explained how him nosing in on your relationship with Ryland was going to mess up your bond, he promised to stay out of it from now on...He also knows you and your mate are marked."

I felt extremely guilty...it must've showed on my face.

"Don't worry, I saw your mate interacting with you through your shared link and figured it out...but he explained how the marks came about, We won't talk about how disappointed I am about that...But it does help me to believe that you are now safest with your mate, and as your Ryland is the General of the War Dogs I know you'll be one of the most guarded pack members, so that eases some of my worry."

I smiled, "You make them sound so savage."

"They are...but back to Ryland...I know with mates there may be certain urges...-"

"DAD!" I shouted, "JUST STOP!..." I shook my head. I was completely mortified with my dad for trying to have a sex talk with me, in public no less.

"J-just dont rush into anything and be smart."

"I promise, now can we please for the love of the moon goddess just talk about anything else?" I practically begged him.

"I suppose we could talk about your mother then."

I rolled my eyes but kept my comments to myself as I had asked to talk about anything else but my sex life (or lack thereof).

"I believe I spoke to Royce and I know I've mentioned it to you once before...But your mother and I are getting a divorce...It's official now, My attorney served her with the papers last week, and as I'm still in the process of stepping down but still recognized as the Alpha she had to move out, I can say it was quite a spectacle for the pack members to see."

I was in shock, I knew he had mentioned wanting to divorce her but to be honest I never actually thought he'd go through with it.

"Hey Dad..."

He looked at me from the daze like state he seemed to be in. "Hmmm?" he sounded with a soft smile.

"Did you ever wonder if Bryson wasn't your son?"

He smiled and I could see the sadness in it, he simply reached out and wrapped his arm around me before he pulled me into a hug. "I know that he isn't..."

I had so many emotions flooding through me right now and I didn't know which was more prominent, anger, curiosity, betrayal, sadness.

"...But I also know that his father was your mother's mate who was killed in a rogue attack, the same rogue attack that pushed our two packs to need an alliance so badly that I had to reject my mate."

He sighed and explained "I was the only child of our pack Alpha and I was suppose to marry the other pack Alpha's daughter...as he had three sons and one daughter, but when they came over to sign off on the alliance she met her mate in one of our pack guard members, a distant family cousin of ours and the next best solution was to marry me to the Beta's Daughter, I always felt sorry for her since she was still grieving the loss of her mate but had to marry me, of course I also had Charlotte...I didn't know either of them were pregnant, had I...I wouldn't have gone through with it, your mother would've been happier without me and I'd of been happier with Charlotte of course."

Once again he sighed heavily and kissed the top of my head like he always does, "Of course sometimes our paths aren't always what they seem, and as much grief and heartache as it's caused a lot of people, I'm glad that I did get to be with your mom if only because she gave me you, My sweet Raven."

"I love you Dad."

"I love you more my girl...now lets get going, we've got the worlds most awkward dinner to attend."

"Maybe you should try talking to Charles, man to man ya know...I don't think you two will ever be friends or anything but at least you can both see where your anger and resentment comes from toward each other...if nothing more, at least in the hopes that things will be less tense come Royce's Wedding." I offered.

He hugged me and I felt him nod his head before he gave my shoulder a pat and we both got up and walked back to the pack house.