Chapter 16: Sponsor

Start from the beginning

       "You're talking about the sponsor again, aren't you?" I asked.

       "It's your choice," Dad said. "But I know Shaw and I know that he will be a huge help for you."

       "I know Shaw too," Grant spoke up. "I wouldn't have asked him to tell your dad if I didn't know him. He really would be a huge help."

       I still wasn't sure about the whole me having a sponsor but if both Dad and Grant knew Shaw and thought him being my sponsor would be a huge help, then I shouldn't skip out on it.

       I needed something to actually help me get sober because so far, I had only been saying I wanted to get sober but every time I tried, I just failed.

       Maybe I needed someone who actually knew what I was going through. Something who would know exactly what to do if I'm craving a drink.

       "Okay," I said in a quiet voice.

       "Okay?" Dad asked.

       "Okay, I'll do the sponsor thing," I said. "But... What exactly does the sponsor do?"

       "I don't know everything but Shaw did tell me a few things," Dad said as he pulled out his cell phone. "I'll invite him over now so you can actually get to know him."

       I nodded, and as Dad made the call, I walked over to Grant and sat down beside him. "I really am sorry for telling you I'd never forgive you if you told my dad. I was just afraid of his reaction and thinking he would only get mad at me. I don't like it when my dad is mad at me."

       "He seemed like the understanding type," Grant said. "And I'm sorry too."

       "Don't be," I said. "You did the right thing. It's actually easier for me to admit now that I saw how my dad reacted to it. So I also think I have to say thank you. Getting sober isn't going to be easy but I know I'll be able to with you by my side."

       Grant smiled. "Like I tell you all the time, I'll do anything for you."

       I couldn't help but smile back at him. "Have I ever told you how amazing you are?" 

       "No, but you should more often. I love when people boost me up."

       I rolled my eyes but I was still smiling. "Well, you really are amazing. Thank you. For everything."

       "You're welcome," Grant said.

       When Shaw showed up, Dad let him into the house and the first thing Shaw said to me was, "Ollie, first off, I just want to apologize if I stepped over boundary by telling your dad. It's just when your boyfriend came to me extremely worried, I didn't know how to say no."

       "Don't apologize," I said. "Both my dad and Grant were right. I'm a minor and my dad should know. You're just trying to help and I actually really appreciate it. I want to get sober, I really do. I just don't know how."

       "And that's exactly what I'm here for," Shaw said. "I'm here for guidance and support, and even for emergency contact. So if you find yourself stuck in a situation, especially one related to alcohol, at even three in the morning and you can't get a hold of everyone else, you can call me and I'll help. And since I've been where you are, I know all the warning signs of a relapse or when you're really craving a drink. I'm going to be honest, the road to sobriety isn't easy."

       "That, I already know," I said. "I've been trying already but it's not working. I can't even go to support groups without wanting to give up already."