Ch.9 - My Mate Will Love Me, My Mate Will Love Me Not

This chapter is just a dedication to people who read this book and make themselves known. I love you like a rachet hoe loves her jacked weave.

BREAKING NEWS: NEW CHAPTER UNDERNEATH!

Chapter 9:  My Mate Will Love Me, My Mate Will Love Me Not

Shanté's POV

"Bye auntie!" I screamed into the florist shop. I had to make my way home from the florists that my auntie owned. She couldn't drop me off.

"Take care Shanté! Oh and before I forget," Auntie Doreen said" This is for you." She handed me a bouquet of a variation of  flowers. Roses, carnations, tulips, lilies...you name it.

"Thanks Auntie." I said before taking a red rose (with the thorns off) and tucked it behind my aunt's ear.

She smiled warmly at me. I loved her so much. Then she looked behind me and, in seconds, the smile was wiped off clean.

She turned her attention to me and said, "Remember, call me when you get home."

"Yes Auntie." I said before kissing her cheek and turned around to begin my way home. The walk to my home was almost 2 minutes away if I took the shortcut by bridge. I wasn't going to take long.

I went to the bridge that went over the river. It was so crystal clear and it had swans swimming around. But what caught my attention was two swans in particular. They were opposite each other, like forehead to forehead. Because of their necks, it looked like a heart.

Love.

I remember the day Mama told me that I was a werewolf and I was going to have a mate. My chosen prince.

I can't wait for the day that I meet him. I bet he is going to be so handsome and sweet and kind and funny and...

Imperfect. In a perfect way.

I then found one of the red roses in the mixed bouquet and picked one petal off.

"My mate will love me, my mate will love me not." I chanted, doing this for the whole walk. My braids bounced on my shoulders as I recited the game.

Turning the corner to my street, I was on the last petal happy with my result.

My mate will love me.

He will love me. I can't wait to tell Mama.

And that's when I saw the pandemonia.

The smoke bellowed. Fire burned. The neighbors screamed. The firetruck wailed. My parents screamed. Ambulances arriving.

And me?

I just stood there as a spectator to all the madness that was taking place.

When I regained myself, I ran towards the house, with confusion to what emotion to feel. I screamed when I saw my parents at the window with no way to escape from the hold of the strong fire.

"WE LOVE YOU!" Dad and Mom both said at the same time, "ALL THREE OF US!"