Chapter Ten: Burnt Hands

(Hehehe. Okay I think this picture is adorable for reasons.)

Downtown.

Not really a bad place, but Enji knew that there were more villain attacks in this particular area, that's why he'd promised to Fuyumi that he'd avoid it if he could.

I guess I'm breaking that promise now.

Enji's face felt stiff from crying. He still wasn't sure when the tears had stopped, but apparently they had, and all he was left with was rough hiccuping breaths.

He had stopped running a while ago, now he simply walked down the only partially inhabited streets.

Enji saw people avoiding him and couldn't quite decide if he was relieved or if it hurt. He didn't force himself to pick one though, simply allowing the growing pit in his stomach swallow the emotions that normally raged on whether he wanted them or not.

The air was cold, every breeze sending a small shiver through Enji's body. He rubbed his sides trying to gain some sort of warmth, but it was as if his quirk had decided to take a vacation.

The sound of cheering and yelling suddenly caught Enji's attention. He turned to see a large crowd standing only partially in an alley way. People were jumping up and down trying to see past each other.

Enji's curiosity got the better of him and he made his way over, pushing through the crowd until he could see exactly what they were all freaking out over.

It didn't take him more then a second to figure out exactly what was going on here.

It appeared to be some sort of illegal fight group from the fact that people were clutching money and screaming at two people trying to tear eachother appart with their quirks.

Enji could laugh, it was pathetic. These people were all risking being arrested over something so...stupid.

The fighters weren't even that good, Enji had seen better from the first year students at UA. It was almost comedic to watch the two scrabbling at each other.

Please, I could beat them easily-

Enji paused as the thought settled. The cold ache in his chest started to burn away, a blaze of anger slowly bringing warmth back to his skin.

He could take it out on these stupid fighters. Maybe if he fought them long enough, hard enough, he could put the numbness away again.

Enji pushed to the front. He watched silently as the larger fighter finally got the other fighter to tap out. A man with a ridiculously oversized hat stepped into the ring, he was smiling broadly. "Who will challenge the champion next!?"

Without hesitating Enji stepped into the ring. He heard the slight murmur of laughter among the crowd and it only made his determination to do this grow stronger.

The man with the hat snorted slightly. "Excuse me boy, but I don't allow children to fight in my ring."

"Try and stop me, bitch." Enji snarled, flames curling up his arms and burning off his sleeves. Enji focused long enough to form the mask of flame he had worn almost twenty four seven the first two months of his training.

There was a soft gasp from a few members of the crowd, probably recognizing him.

Enji wasn't sure if he'd rather it be because of his less then perfect performance during the sports festival...

Or because of his father.

The hat man seemed to notice the crowds interest and stepped aside to allow Enji and his competitor to face off.