Chapter Five: Study Date

Toshinori shifted from foot to foot, feeling nervous.

He had almost ran to the coffee shop, not wanting to be late, and now had to wait in what felt like agony for Enji to show up.

Toshinori glanced down at his watch, it was just a few minutes until it would be exactly five o'clock.

I guess when Enji says a certain time he means he'll be there exactly at that time.

Toshinori took a deep breath, trying to calm down and remind himself it was just him and his rival studying. It wasn't a 'study date' and it didn't mean anything.

You know, just a normal study session at a coffee shop known for its popularity with couples.

...

Why am I like this?

Toshinori had just about convinced himself that Enji had just set him up-it's not like he has never set anyone up before-when he saw a familiar flare of red hair bobbing through the crowd.

He quickly fixed a smile to his face, doing his best to act like standing here waiting hadn't been slowly driving him insane.

Enji finally pushed out of the crowd and Toshinori had to blink slightly. It was weird seeing Enji in a band t-shirt and jeans like a normal teen, Toshinori was used to seeing him in either his uniform, P. E. uniform or his hero outfit, but had never seen him in normal garb. Toshinori weakly figured that was probably because Enji still refused to move into the dorms.

Enji brushed his hands over the front of his t-shirt, smoothing it before he adjusted the bag strapped across his back and then strolled over to Toshinori. "Sorry to keep you waiting. My siblings insisted I wear something 'normal' to this outing."

"Oh I wasn't waiting long!" Toshinori tried his best to sound cheery and carefree. That certainly explains why he looks so...different. Now that Enji was closer Toshinori could take another glance over Enji's appearance: his hair wasn't spiked, but it wasn't in a tight ponytail either, instead it was pulled into a messy bun of sorts, a few strands falling into Enji's eyes. Toshinori noticed that Enji seemed to have used eyeliner, a strange yet...amazing sight he'd never really thought he'd get to see. The black t-shirt Enji was wearing was some sort of band shirt, it seemed to be of some Japanese band Toshinori had never heard of.

It was only when Enji cleared his throat  that Toshinori realized he was staring.

"Ah-sorry! I just didn't expect I'd get to see you in such casual clothes!" Toshinori tried to keep his smile in place despite the embarrassment burning in his gut.

Enji raised an eyebrow as he started to walk past Toshinori, pushing the doors of the coffee shop open. "So you've been dreaming of getting to see me in casual clothing? That sure is a strange fantasy of yours, Scarecrow."

Toshinori's jaw dropped, he tried desperately to think of something to say in response, but when he couldn't think of anything he just scrambled to follow after Enji.

Enji pulled his bag off his back and tossed it onto the first empty table he spotted. Flopping down in one of the seats he turned slightly in his seat, looking like he was waiting for something.

Oh right. Me. He's waiting for me. Toshinori scrambled to sit down across from Enji, putting his own bag down onto the tabletop.

"So, shall we begin then?" Toshinori smiled as he pulled out a notebook.

Enji shrugged as he pulled out a notebook as well. "It's why I'm here isn't it?"

Time passed, slowly at first as Toshinori tried to adjust to Enji's...unique tutoring methods. Mostly consisting of him scowling at Toshinori and occasionally throwing his mechanical pencil at Toshinori's chest then demanding he handed it back so Enji could "Show you how someone who isn't an idiot does this."