15- The Picnic

A/N: SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG FOR AN UPDATE! I HAD WRITERS BLOCK...

ALICE'S POV

I felt his hands around my shoulders and his lips against mine as the world around me became extremely vivid in color. Pastels became fluorescent and the blacks and whites came alive.

My heart was pumping at a fast rate and adrenaline coursed through me as Asa pulled away. This moment was magical and I knew that now we had finally crossed over the friend zone.

"Alice," Asa began with a smile.

"What is it?"

"I have something to tell you," He exclaimed, his blue eyes twinkling with delight. "Wake up."

"What?"

••••••••••••

"Alice!"

Asa shook my shoulders and my head snapped up in a flash. For a minute I could do nothing but blink wildly and regain my surroundings. After another moment of my brain processing what had just happened, I felt my heart sink to my feet.

It had been a daydream.

"What's going on with you?" Asa asked with concern. He rested his elbow on the table and knitted his brows as he looked me cover from head to toe.

"Nothing!" I blurted out a little too suspiciously. Asa wasn't buying it. He raised an eyebrow at me.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, yeah, I just zoned out. That's all." My dialougue was quick and flushed and I knew that no matter how many times I reassured Asa nothing had happened he got the sense something was wrong.

"Okay, whatever you say." Asa rolled his eyes sarcastically, stood up, and began to pore himself over the huge list that I had made. I shook any lingering thoughts about the daydream away and tried to focus my attention on the situation.

"So, we've screamed our way through parasailing, nearly bumped our heads into a restaurant awning while walking on stilts, and practically puked our guts out bungee jumping." Asa crossed the activities off the list with a Sharpie. "So next we..." Asa's voice trailed off.

My palms began to clam up but I wiped them on my jean shorts before he could notice my anxiety.

"Next on the list is a picnic in the park?" Asa looked over at me with a grin switching at the edge of his lips. "That's not a crazy activity."

"So?" I snapped a little too defensively. "Not everything on my list has to bring us to the brink of insanity,"

"Okay, okay," Asa put his hands up in defeat. "I like picnics anyway."

A smile crept up onto my face and a feeling of bliss washed over me.

"When do you want to picnic?" I asked. Asa reached for a pair of car keys on his desk and shoved them in his pocket.

"How about I go to the store and pick up some food now, and I'll get everything ready at the park so I can pick you up in an hour?"

"Why can't I help you set up?"

"Because I want it to be a surprise," with a blithe look on his face and a spring in his step, Asa blew me a kiss and bounded out the door.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

At almost 60 minutes on the dot, I heard the familiar knock at the door and felt euphoria sweep through me.

"Ready for our lovely picnic at the park?" Asa's face appeared from beside the hotel room door and I nodded in approval.

"Why yes I am, sir."

"Let's go mad'am."

With our arms linked together, Asa and I proceeded to skip down the hall like 12 year old children, frolicking along without a care in the world.

At that moment, my heart seemed to be resting on a cloud. All the turmoil in my life from the past few days seemed to just disappear from my mind and the weight lifted off my shoulders as Asa opened the passenger door of his car for me. With a stupid grin on my face,

I climbed inside and turned to see Asa at the wheel. For a moment we just sat there smiling at each other with our eyes locked.

As if reading my mind, Asa reached for a button on the dashboard and soon Michael Bublé's "Just Haven't Met You Yet" started to blast through the speakers. I felt a warm sensation poke around inside of me- a perfect song for a beautifully perfect moment. Asa started the engine and soon we were off to the races.

"Wherever you are, whenever it's right, you're come out of nowhere and into my life," Asa began to sing the song aloud, and I couldn't help but laugh at his singing voice. Even though I knew mine was 10 times worse than his, I started to sing along with him anyway.

"And I know that we can be so amazing, and being in your is gonna change me!" I threw my hands up in the air and began to get into the groove of the song when Asa unleashed a fit of laughter at my cringeworthy dancing in the front seat.

"And now I can see every single possibility!"

"And someday I know it'll all turn out, and I'll work to work it out!"

"And I promise you kid," Asa ruffled the hair at the top of my head. "I'll give more than I get!"

"I just haven't met you yet!"

Asa pulled over at the curb as we arrived at the park, but we continued to jam out to the music until the song ended. This was the absolute picture-perfect scenario that only happened in my fantasies, and the fact that I had just lived it made me feel like I could do anything.

Finally, in high spirits, we got out of the car and I tripped and fell onto the pavement. Asa rushed to my aid and yanked me off the ground, revealing a bloody knee.

"Oh great," I muttered, wincing in pain. Embarrassment flowed through me and my cheeks flushed red but Asa didn't seem to care.

"Are you alright? That scrape looks like it hurt."

I nodded reluctantly and Asa led me to our picnic spot. I hobbled over to him only to see our basket open and the blanket on the grass torn to sheds.

"Little wankers!"

We both gasped in surprise as two squirrels scurried away with a pieces of sandwich in their mouth. A raccoon poked it's head from inside the picnic basket and Asa shooed it away angrily. He ran his hands through his hair with frustration and turned to me with a look of defeat on his face.