21- Altitude

author's note: I'm so sorry for leaving this story hanging for months! I'm finally making a conclusion to this fic after so long! Since I'm not very active on this account, contact me via instagram (instagram.com/hazelstt) if you want me to make another or sequel :)

"Please, mom!"

"No, Alice! How many times do I have to tell you?" My mother hollered, brushing past me aggressively as she grabbed my suitcase and lugged it to the front door. "You don't have any more time to go out. We're leaving for the airport in fifteen minutes and I don't want you wandering around alone."

"Mom!" I whined, desperate to find a way to escape the walls that had been closing in on me for the past few days. "This is my last time to explore LA before we fly home! Why can't you just let me go out for a few minutes?"

"I don't need to justify my reasons, I already said no." My mother turned to me with sweat beading on her meticulously trimmed brows. "Where do you want to go anyway?"

"Cali Smoothies, that place two blocks from here." I blurted out, clinging on to the last thread of hope that my mother would let me out of the house.

"Why on earth do you want to get a smoothie? You just ate breakfast twenty minutes ago, you can't possibly be hungry."

"Uh," I scanned my brain in an urgent attempt to conjure up an excuse as to why I wanted an enormous smoothie at nine in the morning. There was no way I was going to spill my true intentions; she would lose her mind if she found out I was going there to meet a famous actor who had taken an interest in me behind my back. However, I had already promised Asa that I would be punctual for our last "date" before I left him forever and flew back to dull, drab Detroit. Over text this morning, we both agreed to say our farewells and enjoy our last precious moments together at the local smoothie hangout. Unfortunately, my mother had become a block in the road I just couldn't find my way around.

"Since you don't have a legitimate answer, I guess you're not going." My mother concluded. "We need to leave soon anyways. We can't have a repeat of our last airport incident before flying out here; being late again is simply not an option."

"Fine." I heaved a heavy sigh and plodded into my room, tears welling up in my eyes. Pulling out my phone, I reluctantly opened the messages app and began to explain to Asa why I couldn't meet up with him. Tears rolled down my cheeks and splashed onto my phone screen, making the touchscreen impossible to use as Asa sent a series of sad emojis as a reply.

I was never going to have my fantasy moment with the boy of my dreams.

Despite my hardest attempts to stay optimistic and reflect on the positive aspects that had come from my trip to LA, not being able to look into Asa's glistening ice-blue eyes and feel the warmth of his soft lips against mine would inevitably leave a gaping hole in my heart.

The ringing of my phone snapped me out of my delusions and I answered Asa's call without hesitation.

"You can't come, can you?" He asked, disappointment dripping from his tone.
"Nope, I can't make it out of the house.

"Then I'll come to the airport. I need to see you before you leave." Asa admitted. "I need to hear your voice one last time."

"But my parents can't see us together. They have no idea we even know each other."

"We'll figure something out. Text me when you're there and we'll find a place to meet in private before your flight takes off. I have so much I want to tell you before you go, and I need to say it in person."

"Okay," I assured him, wiping away my drying tears. "It's a plan."

CONCLUSION TOMORROW!!