2- The Covention

Alice's P.O.V

In this fleeting moment in time, anything was possible.

The convention was beginning to close down; only a few stragglers remained on the scene as I tried to pinpoint Asa or any of the actors from Ender's Game. With just my luck, it just so happened that when I arrived to the meet and greet, Asa had stepped out for a situation inside. Even though it was magnificent to have a conversation with Harrison Ford and Hailee Steinfeld, it didn't hold a candle to what it must be like to talk to Asa.

Now, my parents were out having a late lunch at a restaurant nearby while Aunt Bea sent herself off on a wild goose chase to locate a bathroom. The convention was practically a ghost town now, but I held onto the opportunistic thought that Asa would still be here.

The moment Aunt Bea was out of sight I started off, my feet weaving through the various clusters of tables, chairs, and enormous posters around every corner.

As I inconspicuously walked around, my heart dropped to my feet each time I peered into an empty room. I knew I was pressed for time before Aunt Bea returned from her journey, and that there were only so many rooms I could check.

After about three minutes without any luck, I plopped down in an empty chair, a gloomy and dispiriting mood washing over me. My mind soon snapped out of it's state of disappointment and began to focus on what an invigorating and favorable day it had been. Even though I failed to meet Asa, I had, in fact, gotten Harrison Ford's autograph as well as talking to a few of the movie actors. Overall my experience had been spectacular, and I couldn't let one fault get in the way of my joy.

"Have you seen Moises around here?"

As soon as I heard that unmistakable deep British voice, it felt someone had pumped anti-freeze into my veins. My heart skipped a beat as I looked up and was soon staring into the most striking, mesmerizing ocean-blue eyes. I took a moment to look Asa over- from his tousled black hair to his straight cut jeans and semi-formal checkered top.

Asa must have seen the starstruck expression on my face because he helped me to my feet and shot me a grin.

"Oh my gosh, it's really you..." I stumbled over my words as discombobulated fragments of sentences formed in my mind. An overwhelming sense of awe glued me to the spot and made a rush of adrenaline flow from my head to my toes.

"Well I would hope so," Asa said playfully, giving me a slight chuckle. "You must be a fan."

"Well how can I not be?" I asked sarcastically, pushing my innermost feelings of delight to the back of my mind and sending Asa a cool and collected vibe. "Your acting is amazing, especially in Ender's Game."

"Thank you, um... I never got your name." Asa admitted, locking eyes with me. For a split second I could do nothing but stare into his hypnotic gaze before finally looking away and responding.

"I'm Alice,"

"Cool. It's always nice to meet a fan who doesn't just...fangirl."

I twisted my face into a perplexed expression as Asa racked his brain for the right words.

"Let's just say I'm glad you can actually talk to me and do more that blurt out complements."

Before I knew it, Asa and I had taken a nose-dive into a long conversation, covering everything from what I enjoyed doing in my spare time to how the actors from Ender's Game were really like outside the set. A spark of delight lit up inside me like a firecracker when I discovered how easily I could talk to Asa and how interested he seemed in everything I had to say. He appeared to be genuinely impressed when I told him I was an aspiring actress myself.

"So how long have you been acting?" Asa asked, raising his eyebrows in inquiry.

"Since fourth grade," I replied nonchalantly, an easygoing smile emerging on my face. "I've been my school's theatre club since fifth."

"Awesome! When I was younger I remember rehearsing for plays in my theatre club in London."

"Do you play any sports?" I inquired, wondering if things like the Super Bowl were even acknowledged in London.

"I used to play rugby, until-" Asa flashed a pearly grin and continued. "Until I had this accident. It was quite comical, though."

"Gosh, I'm afraid to ask what happened!" I replied, trying not to stare at Asa as a smile snuck it's way across my face. Asa seemed to ignore my grin, already wrapped up in his own story.

"Well once, I was playing a match with my rugby team; it was in the first round, I think.." Asa pondered what to say next, double checking his facts from the memory before speaking again. "Somehow, I fell and cleated myself in the face!" Asa and I began to chuckle lightly. "Don't ask me how it happened, but it was really bizarre-" Suddenly, the warm and hospitable look vanished from his face as he looked down to check his phone.

"Sorry, Alice, I've got to get back to my hotel room." Asa admitted in a crestfallen tone.

A wave of sorrow washed through me, diminishing the exuberance from inside. Asa stood up and shoved his phone deep in his pockets. I stood as well, the noticeable 6 inch height difference making me look like a child compared to Asa's tall and lead body.

"Well it was really nice talking to you,

Asa." I muttered forlornly, forcing a smile. "I'll see you on screen."

Asa peered down at me and for the second time today our eyes locked. This time, the stare was too strong to break free from- Asa's captivating blue eyes had bewitched me and instantly put me under his spell. For a moment I could do nothing but ogle him, but I persuaded myself to break the gaze and return to reality.

"Bye, Asa." As I began to speak my body became tense as I rocked back and forth on my feet. "I just want to say it was really nice to meet you,"

"It was nice to meet you!" Asa exclaimed, giving me a wink as his limo pulled up to the curb.

I started to plod off in the direction I had game, my downcast spirit trailing behind me. I turned back in nostalgia as Asa offered a little wave and started off towards his ride.

Even though I was somber about leaving, a part of me was still pumped and ecstatic about meeting Asa in the first place. I mean, the day had been out of a dream from the moment I arrived here- I had talk to three celebrities which included my celebrity crush...

"Hey Alice!"

I spun around on my heels, my dirty blonde hair slapping me in the face. Asa was jogging towards me, a little slip of paper in his hands.

"What is it?"

"I want you to have this." Asa handed me the paper and I unrolled it to find a phone number scribbled down in blue ink. "Text me whenever, but with all the movie business I probably won't answer right away."

"Holy crap, thank you!" I giggled in exasperation, a sense of warmth and and overwhelming glee settling deep in my bones. "I'll do that."

"See you around,"

With that, Asa shot me one more handsome smile before trotting off to his limo. Pure and utter shock kept me glued to the spot like a mannequin, my body in the same pose as the limo sped off, leaving behind a cloud of dust.