12- Motivation

SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG SCHOOL AND FINALS HAVE CONSUMED ME THIS PAST

MONTH!

Asa's POV

I was worried about Alice, but now I'm pretty sure everything is alright.

I left her alone for a few days after the huge medical scare with her aunt so she could unwind and recuperate. I thought it was best if i stayed out of her family matters- I didn't need to be there to put any more stress on Alice. Her shoulders were so heavy with the weight of her worries I wouldn't be surprised if they fell off her body.

When I took Alice to see the set of Ender's Game last week she seemed distant and unenthusiastic, but I told myself it was just post-traumatic stress from all the insane events that had unfolded right before her eyes.

Although I was very pleased to see that when Alice and I had met to hang out at Chipotle yesterday she had that buoyant and carefree personality back and a spring in her step again. Alice bounced back, and it made me delighted to see she was having a good time with me. The blithe look in her eyes made me feel content and relieved all was normal again. It's hard to believe I've only known Alice for about a month but it felt like we had been friends for years.

Ping!

My phone went off like a buzzer as I picked it up from the hotel bedside table to check who had texted me.

Of course, it was Alice.

I typed in my apple passcode as I tapped on the MESSAGES icon to read what Alice had said. For some reason talking to her always puts me in a good mood.

Alice- Asa, call me. I have to tell you something important :|

A mini wave of panic flushed through me and I could sense the unhappy and deflated tone just by the way Alice was texting me. Shaking off my nerves, I reluctantly dialed Alice's number and pressed my iPhone to my ear.

"Hello?" A muffled voice on the other end asked. For a moment I just stood there like a fool, not wanting to say anything. "Asa?"

"Hey, what's up?" I replied, trying to sound casual. It was pretty clear that there was no time for small talk though.

"Asa, I know you know 'what's up' is just an excuse to avoid the bad news I have to tell you." Alice heaved a heavy sigh and staticky silence filled her end of the conversation.

"Come on, just tell me." I coaxed, anxiously tapping my foot on the hotel room rug.

"Okay, okay, I know you're probably sick of me clamming up right before I break the news to you. I'm gonna keep this short and sweet; on Friday I need to fly back to Chicago because my parents are too shaken up from what happened with Aunt Bea. They told me we're no longer enjoying our time here and that it's better off to go recuperate at home."

"What? You're leaving?" I blurted out, a twinge of anger suddenly in my tone of voice. I know I shouldn't be mad at Alice for this- it wasn't her fault- but I just couldn't face the fact that she was...leaving for good.

"We take our flight home in four days." Alice replied remorsefully, letting out a large sigh of disappointment. "I tried to talk to my parents but they refuse to listen. Whenever I say something they just discard my ideas and suggestions like a piece of garbage!"

"Alice you shouldn't be upset, this isn't your fault." I assured her, trying to lighten the mood. Before I could say anything else I heard sobbing at the other end.

"Why the hell am I crying?" Alice asked with frustration. "I'm acting like such a wimp by just sitting here crying my eyes out for what must be the fourth time since I've been in California!" Alice's helplessness quickly transformed into one of irritation. I tried to interject but Alice's words stomped over mine.

"Maybe-"

"I don't want any sympathy, because I need to learn how to take it!" Alice announced, the endless waves of sobbing coming to a close. "I need to learn how to harden up and take the challenges life throws me. Crying like a baby does nothing to help me."

There was a long pause of silence on both ends of the conversation, and I didn't know whether to tell Alice good job or to calm down. Finally, she broke the silence herself.

"Asa, you know what?"

"What?"

"We can't just mope about what little time we have left." Alice proclaimed, strength and confidence back in he tone. I couldn't help but grin; the spark inside Alice when I had first met her was shining through once again.

"Really, then what should we do?" I asked, already half-knowing the answer.

"We need to make the next 96 hours last. Make them jam packed with wild activities so the four days the most memorable ones in our lives."