08 | Clumsy Injuries

Start from the beginning

"No, but I don't need to worry about it right now. It's not until later on tonight anyway, and besides, how long could it possibly take me to find an outfit?" I said nonchalantly.

"You never know, Hads. You want to look your best for James," Ava winked, causing heat to rush up my neck and to my cheeks.

Suddenly, an arm swung around my shoulders and I was pulled into James's side as he slipped into the chair beside me, getting a waft of citrus.

"Hey," James greeted towards Ava before turning to me, a chuckle escaping his lips followed by a cocky smirk, "Woah, Hadley, your face is bright red. Have you been thinking about me again?"

"Yeah right. You wish," I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Actually, she's been talking non-stop about you," Ava grinned slyly.

"That is not true," I defended, the red on my cheeks darkening.

"Oh really?" James said smugly, cocking an eyebrow up with a smirk. "Then why are your cheeks getting redder?"

"That's just how they naturally are," I insisted, pouting like a child. "And besides, the blush I put on today makes my cheeks pinker."

"Okay, keep telling yourself that," Ava snorted as she took a sip of her Coke, earning a glare from me.

As if on cue, my phone vibrated on the table with a reminder that I had set earlier, signaling that my next class was starting soon. I slipped out of James's embrace and hurriedly grabbed my bag and books laying on the table.

"Well, I wish I could stay and chat, but my next class is about to start. I'll see you both later." I said as I looked at both of them.

Before Ava could object, I was practically out of there and was about to head off to class when I rammed into someone hard, resulting in my books dropping to the floor.

"Ow!"

Or so I thought.

My head whipped to see low and behold, Nicole standing in front of me, her face scrunched up in agony. I looked down and saw that two of my thick textbooks had landed on her left foot.

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry, Nicole!" I apologized profusely.

I hastily bent down and picked up my books, revealing her big toe that was bright red. Nicole was now on the floor, nursing her foot.

"Is your toe okay?" I asked, my fear levels shooting through the roof.

"Ah, I think it's broken." Nicole attempted to curl her toe, which resulted in a hiss of pain.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" Tears began to prick my eyes, threatening to spill onto my cheeks as I felt immense guilt.

A small circle had formed around us, yet no one did anything to help. Someone pushed through the crowd and saw me and Nicole on the floor, their scent invading my senses as I could instantly recognize it from a mile away.

"What happened?"

I looked up and locked eyes with Milo, my anxiety levels reaching an all-time high. Concern filled Milo's eyes as he looked away and crouched down next to Nicole.