All Together Now

===============================

     " Black, white, green, red.
Can I take my friend to bed?
Pink, brown, yellow, orange and blue!
I love you. "

===============================

     I woke up for school the next day extremely sore and achey from the night before. How can a day go from really amazing to utter shit. I tossed my uniform on carelessly and walked out the door. Most of my walk to school consisted of me staring at the road rather than talking to George or interacting with anyone.

     "Paulie, what's the matter, now? This ain't like ye at all." George tried his best to get me to vent. It's great that he's always there for me, but I can't bare the pain of explaining everything at 6 in the morning.

     I shook my head casually and tried to reassure him, "It's really nothin', Geo. Jus thinkin', thas all."

     "Ye haven't said a word this whole entire walk! Been chattin' to meself, pretty much." He tilted his head, "Ye know that ye can tell me anythin', right? I promise ye that. It takes quite a lot to startle me."

     "Yeah, I know..." We eventually arrived at school and I purposely got lost in the crowd. I just wanted to talk to John right now.

     However, John was talking to Richard when I grabbed him by the arm and pulled him around the corner.

     "Macca! I've missed ye so mu-" He said in a happy tone until I rained on his parade of excitement.

     "I need to get outta my house." I spilled out. His eyes widened. "Like, today."

     "Yer father givin' ye shit yet again?" He furrowed his brows.

     I nodded and tried my best to explain everything that occured last night to him.

     "That bastard." John had an expression on his face that just had 'I'm gonna bloody kill someone' written all over it. "Ye think he knows abou' us, then? Implyin' yer queer and all?"

     "Pretty damn certain." I whispered.

     "I've gotta talk to him, there's nothin' else to it!" He huffed violently to himself.

     "No! He'd kill us. Mikey and I... we need to get out of there. Soon as possible." I explained.

     John thought for a moment, I had a pleading look on my face. "Yer right, Macca. I'll ask me Aunt Mimi if ye can crash at our place for as long as ye need." He looked in both directions to ensure no one was looking, and gave me a tight hug. A few of my tears made their way onto his black uniform.

     "But John I- I don't want ye to think that I'm weak or... helpless." I explained tearfully.

     "Weak?! Helpless?! Oh, Paul, yer far from it, actually! Yer the strongest person I've ever met!" John reassured me immediately. "Other than me, ofcourse."

     "If it's any consolation, I did run my mouth off at him quite a bit." I said with a sliver of pride. "Couldn't help meself. Yer rubbin' off on me, I suppose."

     "I'm proud of ye, Macca. I really do believe in you." He pat my back, "Ah, but in better news, I think I've finally found us a drummer." John tried his best to change the subject to something happier.

     "Really?! Who?!" I asked, feeling a bit better and safer.

     "Richard! Richard Starkey!" He gleamed.

     "Richard? George's friend?" I asked with slight curiousity in my eyes.

     "Yep! We talked yesterday at the Snack Shack since you and George had a private day to figure out the band. While eating, Richard told me that he plays the drums, so I told him that we'd be the judge of that." John informed me.

     "Thas good! When can we see him play... and does George know about this?" I asked.

     "After school at his place? That's what he suggested. And... pretty sure Richard will tell him, eventually." After John said those words, the bell rang telling us it was time for first block. We both walked into English together.

      As I walked to my desk, I tapped on George's shoulder.

    "Yeah?" He turned to me and asked.

     "Ye hear abou' Richard?" I asked with hope in my words.

     "Yeah! He told me we can see him play after school today at his place. Ye comin'?" George asked me.

     I knew that if my father knew I was going to a friends house, he'd be furious, but this band is too important to me to just pass up. "Sure, Geo, I'll go." I smiled. He smiled back and class officially began.

     The day was pretty lackluster and boring... At lunch I sat with George, John and Richard at our usual table and we talked about everything we would like to do for the band, even if Richard wasn't officially in yet, he was still very helpful.

     After school had ended, we all met infront of the building and began walking towards Richard's house, who didn't live too far away, but much farther than John's or George's or even my house is.

     Once we arrived, we went down to his basement where he had an old drum kit in the corner of the room. They were black with silver rimming.

     "Nice basement ye've got, it's bloody perfect for band practice." John pointed out.

     "Any song I can play that will impress any of ye?" He asked, sitting down getting ready to play.

     We thought for a moment until George spoke up, "No, play whatever ye choose, trust me, it'll mean much more to all us that way."

     He crooked his head a little and this began playing. He played and sang Honey, Dont by Carl Perkins. A simple, happy song, but with a slight edge to it.

     After he finished, we all clapped for him. "Okay, yer in." George said almost immediately.

    "Geo! We haven't even talked abou' a decision, yet!" I interrupted playfully.

    "Okay well, what do ye lot think, then?" George crossed his arms at me. I looked over at John who had an approving look on his face, then I looked at Richard, who had eyes full of ambition.

     "I think he did bloody amazin'." Is all I said.

     Richard smiled and thanked all of us, "Should I play another for ye? To try and convince ye even further?" He asked while twisting the rings on his fingers. "Or has a decision already been made, hm?"

     We all nodded and he played to his heart's content. He was charismatic and passionate on the drums, we all knew, deep in our hearts, that he was the perfect fit.

     "Okay, Rich, we like what we hear. Yer in." John announced. We all celebrated over beers and snacks in his basement. Classy, I know.

     Finally, our band was coming together. No more Stu, no more Pete. No more careless people can infiltrate this band other than my father. However, I know that with John's help, I can fix that problem right up. I just don't want to come off as helpless to anyone. I want John to help me because he wants to, not because he feels bad for poor ol' Paulie.

     I went home a lot earlier than usual and John walked me home to make sure I'd be safe. Since my father could tell that John and I were much more than friends, I wonder if George and Richard know, too?