But, there you were, that was Austin in a nutshell.

"This is gonna sound weird," Alex sighed, running his long fingers through already mused brown hair – tongue flicking out over a full bottom lip.

"It already does."

"Let's be serious for a second." Right, serious, I can do that. I was very good at doing that, actually. It was only within recent weeks that I learned how to crack a smile at something that wasn't malicious towards another person.

Although it was difficult not to let out a few snorts of laughter when seeing Kelly trip over Alice imitating a snake on the floor and subsequently falling like a tree.

"I need to talk to you about Austin."

Oh, okay. Well, that wasn't something that I had expected. I had been anticipating something about Henry, something that was an unspoken topic around the house.

Not an idiot that thought sticking breadsticks in his nose automatically made him a descendant from a narwhal.

"I just need to make sure that you guys are being safe."

Once Alex started speaking, he seemingly thought it best just to continue rambling onwards before I could even think to interrupt him.

"I know you and Austin are old enough to provide consent to each other, but that's only one milestone. There's condoms, and lube, and so many other things that you've gotta be aware about. I mean, I know –"

"Please... please stop for a second," I finally intervened as I held my hand up to stop him in his tracks, my mind reeling from the topic that he had seemingly decided to discuss. And some rational part of me wondered how the hell he had come to the conclusion that that was actually a thing between Austin and me.

"No, Sam, this is something we need to discuss. You're almost seventeen now, if you're not gonna know about this stuff now you never will." Alex was being very persistent. Which, really, was pretty admirable if his cause had reason to it.

"You misunderstand me," I laughed a little breathlessly, a deep blush moving up my neck and to my cheeks. "Austin and I are not..." I paused, but only briefly to try and formulate and eloquent way to phrase it. "Fucking." Well, that was as close as I could get. "Never have, never will."

Alex looked to be stunned, those wide eyes blinking owlishly at me before it finally clicked with him. When it did, his expression was utterly priceless. Even though the situation was far more awkward than I could have even imagined it to be, I let out a loud and obnoxious laugh. How could I not? That classic face was warped into something of sheer horror that he had gotten the wrong impression. Mouth agape, skin pallor, and eyes extremely dilated.

"I mean, I appreciate the gesture," my mouth proceeded to run off before I could do otherwise, "but I think I'm experienced enough to know how the whole sex thing works."

That seemed to snap Alex out of his momentary stupor, head tilting to the side ever so slightly as he raised a brow at my sudden accidental admission. It wasn't really something I cared to discuss, not something that I felt held any relevance to me at this moment in time.

"Don't look so surprised," I grumbled, looking down to my hands before rubbing the back of my neck in a nervous fashion. Only for the fact that Alex tended to talk a lot in silences, I felt uncomfortable during this one. Especially considering that he was the one to cause it this time and not me. Now that was a surprise to all two in the room.

"I'm not surprised," he finally managed, but his breathless tone told otherwise. I'm not exactly sure what else it told other than utter shock, but it was difficult enough to read before he snapped back into his normal conversational tone and expression. "I'm just... intrigued. Does that sound weird?"