Who Could Love Me?

"You dared to ask my daughter to be your girlfriend without my consent?" Brendon exclaimed in his dramatic fashion. I forgot to tell him the details from the date that happened a few days prior. It came as a surprise when Ryan arrived to get ready for the show today and pecked me on the cheek walking in. I wasn't going to lie, Brendon's response was hilarious. His jaw almost fell to his feet, squeaks of disbelief leaving his lips, and we thought we broke him. It was actually amusing and good entertainment before heading to the club. I don't think he needed an explanation after that either, but because he decided to address it so loudly...it was kind of unavoidable.

Ryan turned away from the mirror, red and black makeup complete, and stared our friend with a deadpan expression. "Do you honestly want my feedback on this, Brendon?" He asked, raising his eyebrows ever so slightly. Our friend lifted his chin with a 'hmph.'

"Do you worse. Because nothing you say could possibly make me believe you are better to her than I am!" Brendon said, taking hold of my hand protectively.

I let an audible laugh escape from my mouth. This was so stupid, but it was so us. I looked at Ryan, who shrugged as he curled his shirt collar. "Alright, dude...in that case, I didn't know I needed permission to date a friend who is older than you. I do what I want, how I want. Always have, always will." I gave him a look and he faltered. "...with some exceptions." He stated meekly. I shot him an encouraging smile and thumbs up as he continued. "So...explain to me why I need your consent again. Because I believe you need mine more than anything to keep doing that stage gay thing." He finished, walking over to put his arm around me. Ouch, he really hit it home.

They both knew I didn't enjoy this behavior, but I went along with it for the sake of the show. Brendon let out a soft chuckle and let go of my hand. "You're cold, homie. Glad you still got it." He said patting Ryan on the shoulder before looking his appearance over in the mirror. "I SUPPOSE I'll allow it. You guys seem pretty compatible together. You're also going to the same college soon so, that's a thing." Brendon said, fixing up his bow tie and started to work on his makeup. "I'll just ask that you guys don't screw around over here. I am still a minor in high school. That would just be fucking weird if you did."

I gave both Brendon's shoulders a squeeze as I popped up in the mirror view. "No promises." I said with a Joker smile and flexing my fingers like spider legs. Gosh, I hope Ryan wasn't taking me seriously in that moment. Well, I'd find out in time. Brendon made a quick motion backwards, causing me to flinch back, my blonde curls gliding in front of my face. "I mean it, Elise. I don't want to come back here after work and have to replace a blown out air mattress every single time you guys want to knock aro—"

"I was joking, you ding dong." I grabbed Brendon's head, started shaking it as he made weird auditory sounds with the rapid movements. Ryan was no longer there, but I could hear him plucking the acoustic guitar in the living and laughing while he did. I stopped shaking Brendon's head. "Jeez, and here I was thinking Ryan wouldn't catch on." I said, sitting down on the toilet to watch Brendon cranked his neck and continued to fine point his makeup. He winked at me, so I knew everything was all cool after all. Ryan's voice suddenly resonated from the living room. "Shame on you for doubting me, babe." I froze as I processed what I just heard. Oh...I'd have to get used to that nickname.

———

The show we played was another small crowd like before, only shuffling the songs up here and there to, as they promised, swear to shake things up. Brendon continued his stage gay act and I would fill in when needed. One night, Ryan played Für Elise on the piano for me. Brendon forced me to sit on the instrument and pretend to be sexy while he did it. I had little to no appreciation for my outward appearance, so Jon and Spencer were more responsible for coaxing me to do it. I did so much as sit on the edge, as to not distract Ryan's playing. How did they get me to do it? They told me they'd buy me an entire tub of green tea ice cream if I did.