Golden Days

Like all senior years, the year had taken off and was going by fast. Sadly, I had some college credit classes to get out the way to prove I was as smart in English and Psychology as I stated I was. Brendon, however, was just working and singing for tips to buy back the weed he missed out on before we moved.

Since Ryan's birthday, things have been different. From that point on, we all shared how our day went. We still told jokes and made fun of each other, but this time around, if things got serious we would talk about it. Brendon was actually serious when we discussed it with him. He reminded me to never forget how he reacted when the hooded kid came in the "not our house" and downed the pills. There was an interesting conversation for the three of us to hash out when Ryan confirmed he was that kid...

September was all about getting settled in and lucky we did it without any trouble. The band performed a small gig under the name Summer League, but immediately regretted the name and swiftly changed it back to Pet Salamander. At some point, I would see the epic name change and they would start rolling faster. Aside from that, nothing really stood out for the "year of memories" as they called it. My birthday happened and it was pretty nice. Ryan got me a vanilla scented candle, a choker with fake opal, and a chocolate cupcake with coconut shaving on top. Brendon got me a free wrap from work and a notebook. The least I could say is that I loved it. However, one thing seemed off. After I opened presents, split the wrap and cupcake, Brendon jokingly insisted on writing a song. 

"Ryan, you're stealing all the thunder, writing all the songs we play. Yeah, I know we only have four original songs. But if we're going to actually 'shake it up' like you wrote in those new lyrics, we need a fucking unique song. I'll have to show you one I wrote not too long ago. It sounds a bit like a music box crossed with guitar and drums. It's a work in process, but I'm thinking of naming it The Ballad of False Smiles...or maybe the Mona Lisa." He said pulling out his own notebook. "Here, just tell me what you think."

Ryan looked as though he was about to contradict Brendon for dissing his songs that weren't really "unique." "Eh, I don't know if anyone will be interested if we name this song after Mona Lisa, but it's a pretty good start where it is. With the that line, 'there's nothing wrong with just a taste of what you paid for,' it kinda makes me think of that Miss Jackson campfire story..." Ryan sat back as if nothing happened, still visually baring an unhappy expression...ah man, I'd have some questions to ask him later.

Brendon quickly flipped to another page, pulled out his kazoo (from where, I don't know) and started playing it like a trumpet. Wait, I know that melody, I thought. And before I could stop myself, I started singing the chorus.

"Cause it's Nine in the Afternoon! Your eyes are the size of the...the moon."

Brendon and Ryan turned to look at me. Oh shit, I did it again. "That sounded unique... and pretty odd. I like it. What is it supposed mean?" Brendon asked, leaning over the coffee table toward me. I had some explaining to do. I laughed nervously, but I had a perfect response...just not involving all the truth.

"I...I just thought we always seem to meet up at nine at night. Whether we get off work or Ryan, you stopping by, we...always seem to be...getting high soon after..?" Ryan gave me the "not to shabby" look as Brendon's eyes widened with enlightenment.

"You could cause you can, so you do! That's another line!! I feel so good right now, this is perfect!" He said, jotting it down in his notebook. Oh gosh, what had I done? It was happening too soon. Suddenly Ryan spoke up,

"Why don't we hold off on that one until we get everyone together, Brendon. It doesn't really fit the theme circling around the other songs." Brendon scrunched his eyebrows.