12. Garden Of Eden

Start from the beginning

Samuel smiled a bit, sufficiently expressing his enjoyment in my horror.

"Your eyes are a very unique color, my dear. They shift, from radiant sky blue, to icy cold in an instant. It's very refreshing..." he paused, and I was trapped in his sights like a deer in the headlights "like I can read your thoughts, just by looking into them." A rapid wave of nausea filtered through my guts and I looked away, mortified but determined not to show it.

"Do you know the story of the Garden of Eden, Eve?" He said my name as though he was tasting it, dragging it out. Eeeeve.

"A little." I responded honestly, not liking where this was going.

"Do you know the Garden was the first home of the fallen Saint Lucifer?" He asked softly

"I didn't..."

"It was. He lived there for many years, until a man and woman arrived. Do you know who they were, Eeeve?" He was toying with me. Enjoying my discomfort.

"Of course I do..." I replied, hoping he wouldn't feel the need to say it again.

"Well, then you know two things." He sat on his desk facing me, eyes traveling down my body uncomfortably. "One- women were put on this earth for the company of men. And two," he cocked his head a touch, "- Eve was the betrayer, the first to touch the forbidden fruit. She was the Serpent of Eden, Eve." His eyes sparkled as he said it. All I could think was that this man might actually be an insane person. Legit psycho head case. I had no idea what to say.

"Good, silence from a woman is to be commended. Follow me."

I had to shake my head to wrap my brain around what he had just said.

He believes I'm subservient to him. I realized, dumbfounded for what felt like the thousandth time.

I walked quietly behind him, keeping as much distance as possible as he lead us to the wet bar, and to that black curtain.

"We have many girls here, as you might have noticed. Some cook, some clean." He held open the curtain, indicating me to go ahead of him. "And some dance."

I walked into what could only be described as a club from a fifties gangster movie. The room was large, and smelled like cigars. Huge couches and chairs were setup, all facing a stage that was lit up by spotlights from each corner of the room. It was barely past lunch but men were already here, watching a dark skinned girl tap her toes and roll her hips to the music. She smiled for them and teased them, they seemed to just love it.

"There have been many Ladies of Eden on that stage, each one given a name that they would become each night. Valeries and Victorias, Diamonds, Jades, Rubies and every other precious gemstone you could think of."

This guy knew he wasn't in a movie right? I had pretty much crossed the threshold between the awake and dreaming. There was no way this could be real.

"But, in my many years here, the one thing that Eden has never had... is an Eve." He turned on me, lust in his black eyes. Taking my hand he pulled me to the stage. Every part of me wanted to fight him, get as far away from this place as I could.

"Please, wait, I don't think I can-"

Slap

The reality of the situation hit me at the same time his hand did. I wasn't dreaming, and though the slap was more insulting than painful, the fact that it had happened at all shut me up immediately. I had never been hit before. Not by a man, not in front of other people, not in a way that made me feel so... small.

"What did I say about talking? You aren't going up there now, silly girl. You are going to watch, learn. Lady Hope is one of the best, and she is going to teach you everything you need to know about the art of seduction." At this point I just felt faint. "Now take note."

We sat down front and center to the stage while he critiqued the girl... Hope. The irony was unmissable at a time when I felt like there was none left for me, and I wondered if she chose her name or they did.

"You turn eighteen on Saturday, if I'm not mistaken." I just nodded, "I can see it now. An apple tree on stage," he was pointing now, drawing the picture for both of us "red lips, biting an apple." He touched my cheek as he said it, staring down his nose at me, "the Garden's newest member, a night not to be missed, the debut of the Serpent of Eden, our very own Lady Eve!" He was a maniac, I could practically see dollar signs in his crazed eyes as he envisioned it all coming to life. Their wouldn't have been words even if I had been allowed to say them.

"That's enough." He snapped loudly and the girl on stage stopped dancing. "Take Eve to her room, pick out two red outfits and one white one. Tomorrow is first rehearsal." He turned his dark gaze on me and I stared back, pulling together every ounce of courage not to look away. A slow and terrifying smile crept onto his lips as he spoke quietly, making me lean in to hear him:

"Contempt." He enunciated, not blinking. "Will not get you far." I was holding my breath, feeling fear, disbelief and every emotion in between as I stared back. His intensity dissolved instantly and he became almost good humored again, "welcome to your new home, Lady of Eden."

...But I had seen the devil, and in his eyes, there was no darker hell.

Hope you're enjoying this story so far... Please vote for the chapter if you want to read more!