42; wedding & a war

Start from the beginning

"Ben's sat over there." Zach told me as I approached, pointing to the chair that was two seats from him. "he's busy at the moment, he'll be back."

"Okay cool, whatever, don't care anyway." I cleared my throat, passing that total lie through my lips so quickly that it even shocked me as I said it. I earned a glare from Jace and sat down in the empty middle spot next to Zach and the seat Ben was supposedly meant to be sat at.

As I glanced around, I noticed how intricately detailed everything was. You wouldn't even be able to tell this was the same venue in which the wedding was held. All these tables were set up where the was once empty space and the chairs were now dressed in white cloth and finished with a pink bow.

Giant windows all around the venue looked out to the gardens surrounding the hall and the garden was adorned with fairy lights everywhere. I made a mental note to check it out later, it look so enchanting and I wanted to kiss Ben under the stars and surrounded by all the lights; what can I say? I'm a total romantic and I wouldn't physically be able to pass up on such an opportunity.

Ben suddenly pulled out the chair beside me, startling me slightly at his abruptness. He's always like this, however I don't think I'd ever be able to get used to it. I cleared my throat as he took his seat, and fiddled with the cutlery in front of me. Why are there so many forks and knives? Why are they different sizes? Why is there only one spoon if there's two of everything else? If cutlery wasn't bad enough, why are there just so many glasses on the table? Those, plus the ones that are everyone would grab from the open bar, surely the table would just be scattered with glasses?

Ben's warm hand caressed my thigh and I jumped since I didn't expect it, I didn't expect anything tonight, because we were supposed to keep our relationship a secret.

Everyone at the table glanced at me with curious looks. "It's fine, my leg got cramped up." I chuckled wryly, then glanced at Ben with gritted teeth.

"Ok.. well, what do you guys wanna drink? We getting plastered tonight?" Zach asked, his eyes lighting up with the same excitement that of a little kid going to Disneyland.

"Sure." I stood up, "I'll come with you to carry drinks."

"But Flynn, what about medi-"

"Shut up Ben." I rolled my eyes, "It's fine." Jace, as I expected, just rolled his eyes at our exchange, the blatant rudeness was something he wasn't too keen on, and Ben, as expected, looked at me with that poker face of his, and man, if looks could kill.

We got everyone's ordered, at least from the people we recognised at the table, and made our way to the open bar.

"Is everything okay between you and Ben? I thought you were really getting along these past few weeks." Zach asked, his constant nosiness making an appearance.

I shrugged. "It's a hate-love relationship, we're working on it." Laughing it off as if it were a joke.

He snorted. "You and Ben, in love, is something I'd literally pay to see. That's hilarious." He chuckled after that.

I also chuckled. Ben and I, in love. That all seemed like a joke, didn't it? "Yeah, doesn't seem like love is something in either of our dictionaries."

"Damn right. How would you even know what love is? You've only had one night stands since starting university."

"Apparently it's not for me. Whatever." I shrugged again. I wish he'd just shut up about this topic in all fairness.

Finally, we got service and ordered our drinks. Zach didn't say anything much after. The only thing he mentioned was that he wanted us to get drunk like old times because apparently drunk 'ole me is his favourite person. Apparently I also do really bad stand up comedy when I drink.